Speak Your Pulse

Before this series launched I got a book covering history's worst crimes. I thought it might be a bit tongue-in-cheek to compare what this book claimed was the worst to my life and career as a history teacher. Something that is so often romanticized and made exciting for its danger. But all I can think about is the Pulse shooting being the biggest massacre in modern US history.

This post was originally written by hand with a pen that read, "The only weapon I need." It's a jarring juxtaposition over how to get your message across.

Words and other forms of art last. Something you find today that changes your life may have crossed my path decades ago. Media that has a message exists in a way that has had religions based off of it. We need only to say the name for it to live again. Art can be re-viewed, re-felt, re-read. And in that way its creators exist as they did on the day of posting.

Hate is taught, and it is one of the oldest lessons. But there are other classes in the world too. Like writing, poetry, painting, dance, knitting, fashion, cooking.

Hate is the same violent class.
But to those fighting against it, our methods are endless.

So if recent events, whether a tragedy today, or bigotry tomorrow threatened to steal that spark of pride from you continue creating an accepting world. Even if you don't like yesterday's drawing, today's words, or tomorrow's recipe, rebel against fear mongering all the same.

It should be our most basic lesson. The ABC's. Always Be Creating. Pride, self-care, happiness.

Some people in the world care only to destroy, but we can always be creating things for ourselves and others. Even if it's just a single word at a time, because collectively those rain droplets can form a change in the tides.

Sing your truth on the top of your lungs.
Sing your truth in a soft whisper.
Just don't forget to sing.

I didn't think I wanted to include a recipe this week because of the magnitude of painful events. But then I realized how counter that was to my point. So here's a really simple cake mug recipe to try out. And remember, the goal is to just create something that wasn't there before.

Ingredients:

Instructions: Add 2-3 tablespoons of coco to everything in a blender or food processor

Instructions: Add 2-3 tablespoons of coco to everything in a blender or food processor. Pour into a greased mug and heat for a minute. With our microwave it needed a bit longer so remember to experiment. If you want to skip the microwave check out the oven variant on .

Results: