The History of Words

Did you know our school has an LGBT+ club? I don't say this as a straight person who doesn't pay attention, I say it as a queer person that didn't know the club was a GSA.

There are so many terms these days, frankly, it's pretty amazing. Instead of lumping everyone together and misrepresenting countless people, they are finally breaking it down. Sorting every type of attraction, every nuance of a word, and then passing around like a pamphlet that can't ever get crumbled up into the trash. It's an exciting and terrifying time to step into the light so to speak.

I try to be cheerful on this blog, because after many years is what I personally want. I wanted a record of the good things in the world. But all the sunshine, and rainbows don't replace the dirt, and pain. Those things happen simultaneously, and denying that there is storm outside is not the solution. Point being, words changing is not new. And I want to really focus on words right now.

As the TedTalks caption reads, this is John McWorter

As the TedTalks caption reads, this is John McWorter. I consider him the expert on all linguistic matters, and he's a Professor at a University that is sadly not mine. In his book, he tells the story about how people use to say, "Silly Mary, mother of God."

No, this was not historical shade thrown at Christians. Silly was the proper way to say blessed, and later, innocent. When that was applied to children the word silly picked up a new connotation that flipped it's original meaning around completely.

The reverse of this happens as well. Take the phrase "Nice guys finish last" for example. Nice comes from the Latin word for ignorant. Over time meanings and usages shift. Now if we said "Nice guys finish last" as some historical callback to the wisdom of generations ago, we'd be wrong.

This is why I find several debates of history of labels rather silly (in the absurd way) because the context has been removed and often times cannot be added again. It's also why I find people today using new and reused labels silly (in the blessed way).

Even within the short existence of texting the meaning of lol has not stayed the same. How are we to build anything if the words we use to build are constantly shifting under our fingers? I'd argue that we don't have to fully understand a language to use it successfully. Or misuse it, for that matter.

What is needed for art, and life, is that we find colors that accent ourselves and what we want to say in this moment.

All this discussion about paint and our school's GSA is reminding me what Carrie said about it. "Allys are not given cookies, but Ezra brings some mean dishes to the potlucks."

Would it be (nice) if I went? Send me your thoughts while I leave you this video about texting by John McWhorter.