My History Professor Is A Vampire (+ Kosher Recipe)

(And other things I learned while waiting for the crock-pot)

If you've been following this series, this is not news to you. You've likely even heard of me. Ezra's the name, getting blindsided by the existence of paranormal creatures is the game.

I shouldn't have been so surprised considering that I had Ms. Stark for art a couple semesters ago. That's actually how I knew which history professor to pick this year. You see, Professor Rodgers came into our class fairly often. Their relationship was friendly and close to anyone with even mortal and/or un-bewitched eyes. The rumor was that they were secretly a couple. I'd personally pegged them as the brilliant sort that doesn't admit such truths to each other.

In many fields the truth is always in front of your nose. I knew my art teacher was a witch, it added to her whimsy. But the fact that she had a live-in vampire had not been mentioned. The first time I saw my two teachers together they were debating the various lore of paranormal creatures over coffee on campus. Like mentioned before, the truth is always out there if people are willing to see it.

Which leads us to how I found out about this secret of sorts. Professor Rodgers, who I am now told to call Terrence (but likely won't out loud until I graduate this weekend because a teacher's first name weirds me out more than other things.) Anyways, I was doing what many seniors do their last few weeks, which is start thinking over the last four years. Some drink to their soon to be freedom, some people cling to things they want to keep in the form of photos and adding people you won't actually talk to on Facebook. I'm part of the second group. One social media, linked to another, which linked to another, and bam. The truth revealed.

At first I thought it was a hoax, but then I read more. I read the post that talked about me. It wasn't faked. At first I was weirded out. What else didn't I know about? If vampires existed, what else did? Did my degree matter when the "real world" was something never taught, even at university level.

Then, I started to empathize in a weird way. As an asexual I don't exist to plenty of people. I'm made up. I'm impossible for humans. You can see this reflected in some organizations that are meant to support me. Such as HRC, or companies like American Apparel, who rather sell to allies before even mentioning those like me. (You can check out FYeahAsexual's #GiveItBack campaign for more details)

After being a part of our school's GSA, I've learned that while most people are accepting, others project their fear onto you. I've personally been compared to the worst people in my family's history. Making me somehow both incredibly powerful and utterly unimportant in the eyes of others.

Instead of being fearful of the vampires, witches, and other "monsters" in the world I realized another obvious truth. Humans are the dangerous ones. We damage, hunt, and prey upon our own like no other.

Sure, you can say #NotAllHumans all you want. But there's far more to learn if you simply listen and hear out the marginalized that have been demonized throughout art and history. Even though in a matter of days I won't be their student ever again, I hope Carrie and Terrence continue to teach me things.

In a show of good faith, I offered to write up a guest post and share the recipe that peaked a certain foodie vampire's interest before.

I wish I could say this was a family's recipe, but mine isn't big on cooking so I trusted KosherInTheKitchen.com

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

What You'll Need:

4 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts1 jar of salsa1 package of taco seasoning1 cup of chicken broth1 tbsp of lime juice1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantroRice (if you'd like)

How To:
Place everything in the slow cooker besides the rice. Mix well and cook on low for six hours. Once cooked pull the chicken apart with a fork. Serve over rice and under as much salsa mixture as you'd like.

You know what else I learned while waiting for that to cook? Vampires can drink coconut water in a pinch

You know what else I learned while waiting for that to cook? Vampires can drink coconut water in a pinch. Carrie dared me to drink some. I wasn't going to, but Terrence held out this completely innocent looking bottle with a silent with a bemused expression. And collectively I couldn't say no.

It's so weird. I don't even have the words to describe what it tastes like. How could the official coconut water of the next Olympics betray me like this?

The job market might not be so hot for graduates, but at least the universe has plenty of secrets to keep me busy if I remember to only look. (Do watch out for the humans though. Nasty bunch at times.)

)