Chapter 14

I was enjoying my nap the next day, happy that it was finally quiet in the prison. There was rarely a time, besides at night, where we actually got quiet time.

"Psst. Melanie." I groaned and flipped on my side, ignoring whoever called me. "Mel!" The voice hissed again and I threw my blankets off of me, irritated. I walked to my cell door and looked out.

"What?" I hissed, seeing that it was Sucre who interrupted my precious sleep. He was peering through the bars, his arms hanging out the cell.

"Michael needs you." I rolled my eyes.

"Why couldn't he just call me himself?" I asked and he shrugged before ducking back into his cell. Michael appeared and he seemed to be deep in thought.

"I need to go into the hole, but I need a distraction. Something so that the guards won't open any of the cells for a while." He said, twirling a screw in his hands. He looked up at me and I raised an eyebrow.

"You woke me up to do something Fernando can do himself?" Michael sighed and leaned against the cell door.

"I need multiple ideas from different people. I've already asked him." He responded and and I gripped the bars tightly so that I wouldn't go off. Sometimes, the way Michael did things annoyed me, but he was the one with the plan, so I had to go along with it so that Lincoln could be safe.

"Uh, well, let's see. The guards usually give us a few hours to just chill in our cells, so if we just ask to have the times switched-"

"They won't listen to us. Next." I racked my brain for another scenario. "I need to get the other prisoners...unsettled." I felt the air conditioner blow on me and and idea came to mind.

"What if-" A clanging sound came from below and I paused, making sure no one was overhearing what we were saying. "What if you were to cut off the AC? It would heat up in here in two seconds from all the body heat." I suggested and Michael leaned off the door and nodded.

"Sucre said something like that too. That means I would have to go now so that it will turn off in time for later." He gripped the bars and smiled. "Thanks, sis." I smirked and turned back into my cell.

"Anything for you, Mikey." I plopped back on my bed and decided to sleep for a little while longer. A soft humming sound lulled me back to sleep for what I thought to be a few hours.

* * *

I felt like I was melting. Like skin falling to the floor and off my bones melting. I slowly pried my eyes open and heard the inmates going crazy about something. It felt like a furnace and I was a bit disoriented for a bit, wondering why the guards would turn off the AC. Then I remembered that it was part of Michael's plan to get the inmates riled up.

"Mike?" I whispered, walking to my cell door. I jumped back when the buzzing sounded, indicating that the cells were being opened.

"Take a chill pill, convicts! Time for count!" I stepped out of my cell and saw Michael and Sucre drenched in sweat, just like the rest of us. Sucre was grinning like a kid and Michael just scouted the area as usual.

"Jesus, Michael. I didn't realize it would be this hot." I commented, peeling off my shirt and leaving the small tank top beneath it. Both were almost soaked through, but being exposed from a see-through shirt was the last thing on my mind.

"Any minute now." he muttered, looking at his watch. The guards went around counting and making sure everyone was here. When they finished with upstairs, they went downstairs and started count there. I walked forward and leaned on the railing, watching what was going on down there.