Chapter 21

My cell closed and I looked down at the young guy standing in front of me. He had to be in his late teens or early twenties. His ears were pierced, but had no earrings in them since it could be used as a weapon or be swallowed. He had brownish blonde hair that was shaved on the sides and his lips seemed to stayed pursed as he sucked his teeth and looked up at me.

"'Sup shawty. Guess my bed is here, right?" he said, an urban drawl accenting his voice. He had one sleeve of his shirt rolled up, exposing his tattoo. Typical white boy from the hood.

"Actually, no." I slid off of the top bunk and landed square on my feet. He stepped back and I gestured to the top. "That's your bed." The boy sucked his teeth again.

"I ain't climbin' all the way up there, lady. You can stay your ass up there. Move out the way." He brushed past me and I chuckled before grabbing him by the throat and shoving him against the wall. He dropped his stuff and it made a banging sound as it hit the floor. His face was stricken with fear and I leaned close.

"Listen here, boy. Just because I'm the only female in this prison doesn't mean I won't shove my hand down your throat and rip out your tongue." I hissed, tightening my hand around his neck. His eyes were wide and I gave him a quick up and down, making sure at the end I looked him right in the eyes. "Speak to me that way again and I make good on my promise, got it?" He nodded quickly and I shoved him away and he scrambled to the top of the bunk, not looking at me once.

I sighed and walked to my cell door, leaning against the bars. Having a cellmate was going to complicate things, especially since he was new. He would probably try to befriend me and follow me around and I just wasn't up for that.

"Go easy on the kid." I smirked and leaned the other way, facing Michael's cell. I could see a bit of his head through the bars and his arms hung out the cell.

"I'll try my best." I answered him. "Night Mike." I heard his soft chuckle.

"Goodnight." I turned to go to my bed, but the boy's movements made me look up at him. He was straightening his pillow and he paused when he saw me looking at him.

"What's your name?" I asked. His jaw twitched.

"David Apolskis. But 'round here, they gone call me Tweener." I snorted out a laugh and he frowned. "Ain't nothin' funny. What's yours?" I raised an eyebrow and walked towards the bed, a glint probably shining in my eyes.

"Melanie Burrows." My name slid off my tongue smoothly and I smiled when he jaw dropped and he scooted away.

"Y-you're that lady from the news. Lincoln Burrows wife. S-stay away from me." He said, fear lacing his voice. I shrugged and ducked down, slipping into my bed.

"I'm pretty sure I'll have to say that to you soon." I said, pulling the blankets over me. He didn't answer, but I could hear his heavy breathing.

* * *

A few days passed and I started to get worried that we wouldn't be able to get out on time, based on our progress. The hole had gotten considerably bigger and yesterday, Sucre hit the pipe, indicating that we could finally stop shoveling and start exploring. Of course Michael would be the one who would be exploring, but we all still had major roles to play when he was under there. Michael assured me that things were on schedule and we should be out later that week, no later than early next week.

There was only one problem: Tweener. He seemed to have forgotten the first night he was here because he was up my ass every. single. damn. day. Sometimes, I would catch him eavesdropping on me and Michael's conversation, or any conversation that I had with the other guys I was escaping with and multiple times a day, Bellick called for him and he would be gone for hours.

"I don't trust him." I said, in the break room. Lincoln rolled him eyes.

"You don't trust anybody. As long as he doesn't touch you, the kid is harmless." he commented, painting a wall. I pursed my lips. I really didn't trust anybody, but Tweener was a different story. He almost seemed to be on a mission.

"Keep an eye on him, just in case." Michael murmured, drawing out some sort of plan on the sheets of paper Abruzzi usually had. I nodded and everyone was silent as we all worked, trying to get the break room fixed. Out the corner of my eye, I saw T-bag go to Abruzzi and whisper something in his ear. I walked a bit closer, inconspicuously ad strained to hear the conversation.

"What time?" Abruzzi, asked.

"When we have our second yard time today, meet me in here, immediately. Tell no one." T-bag rasped and I noted that so that I could see what he was going to talk to John about. I had to make sure he wasn't going to jeopardize the escape.

"Mel." I jumped, thinking that I got caught, but it was just Michael calling me over. I walked to him and Lincoln saw and did the same.

"What's up?"

"There's one more thing I need to do to set this plan into motion, but that means I have to go under today. I need you and Sucre to both keep watch during tier time. Make sure the blanket is in place." Michael explained and I nodded.

"Be careful." Lincoln added, looking specifically at Michael. "Good thing my execution was delayed so now we have more time. But I don't trust the governor-" He looked at me. "-no offense, but your dad is an asshole." I shrugged.

"I don't have a dad." I joked and the left side of his face raised up in a smirk.

"Just try and hurry." Lincoln finished and I placed my hand on his arm, sensing a bit of fear and uncertainty in his voice. He looked at me and grabbed my hand, kissing it. "I can't wait for us to get out of here. The things I'm gonna do to you-"

"Okay, enough. Get back to work, Linc." Michael interrupted his brother and I blushed, knowing where Linc was going with that. Lincoln bit his lip and chuckled deeply, walking back to where he was working. Michael looked at me and I raised my hands.

"Hey, don't look at me like that. I can't control his hormones." I said, and Michael just shook his head and went back to drawing whatever he was drawing on the paper. The door opened and a guard walked in, a baton in his hand.

"Alright, yard times over. Pack it up," he ordered and left us to put all of the tools in the wheelbarrow. I walked over to Lincoln and wrapped my arms around his waist, inhaling his scent. He pressed his cheek against the top of my head and we just stood there, enjoying each other's embrace.

"We're gonna get out of here, got that? Don't lose hope." I whispered, and stood on my tippy toes to kiss him. His kiss was urgent, as if he wouldn't see me again and I kissed him back just as hard.

"I won't." He answered when we parted. For his sake, I really hoped he believed we would get him out of there. If not, he would drive himself crazy thinking otherwise.