Chapter 25

Michael and I stood up quickly, puzzled.

"What's going on?" Michael asked, but no one seemed to know. I ran to the window in the viewing room that was blocked by the curtain and started banging on it.

"Hey! Henry!" I yelled, heart accelerating. Did they kill Lincoln? That was the only thought running through my mind at the moment. I turned when the door to the viewing room opened and Pope stepped through.

"Michael, Melanie. Please follow me." he said in a weird tone. I couldn't put a finger on what emotion it was because it was mixed. Almost like guilt and sadness squashed together as one.

"Henry, what the hell just happened?" Michael asked, annoyance in his voice. Henry didn't answer and we followed him to the room we were in a few days ago and I almost fainted when I saw Lincoln in there, pacing round.

"Is this for real?" I whispered, walking over to him. He turned around and I walked into his arms, holding back tears. He was alive. Breathing. Walking. I inhaled his scent and gripped him tightly. I felt his fingers thread through my hair and he wrapped an arm around me. I didn't wanna let him go, ever.

"Linc." Michael breathed a sigh of relief and placed his hand on Lincoln's shoulder. He looked over at Pope, who was standing there looking awkward. I did the same, still holding on to Lincoln. Pope cleared his throat and his eyes flitted around.

"Spit it out, old man. My life was just on the line." Lincoln said, his deep voice like music to my ears.

"I received a phone call saying that new evidence has come to light." I raised my eyebrows.

"Wait, are you serious?" I asked, looking up at Lincoln as I asked. He had a frown on his face, almost not believing. I didn't blame him. Every time this happened, it turned out to be nothing. Pope nodded.

"Because of this, Lincoln, your execution has been postponed until further notice."

"Until further notice? What the hell does that mean? I need a date." Lincoln argued.

"That's what they told me, so that's what I'm telling you." Pope answered.

"That means-"

"What that means is," Pope interrupted Michael. "his execution could be tomorrow or next month. Either way, he's not dying today." With that, he turned and left us in the room alone. Lincoln let go of me and walked over to the table and placed his hands on it. He bent his head and closed his eyes.

"Michael, what does this mean for the escape? Think you can still do it?" he asked and I looked over at Michael, who looked surprised.

"You still want to do it?" Lincoln gave him an 'are you stupid' look and sat down on the table.

"You're in here because of me and I don't want that to be in vain. What's your plan?" Michael pressed his hands together and started pacing.

"There's one obstacle that's in our way and that's getting to the psych ward. That will lead us to the infirmary without getting caught." Michael explained, still pacing.

"How are you going to get me to the infirmary?" Lincoln asked and that was a great question. They didn't allow any of the inmates in the SHU to have contact with the inmates in gen pop, so getting to him would be a challenge.

"I'll have Sara call Lincoln into the infirmary and have him stay overnight for 'treatment'." I looked at him skeptically.

"You sure my sister is going to do that? She already wants nothing to do with our plan." I told him and he nodded.

"I have my ways." I chuckled.

"I bet you do." I said under my breath. Sara would probably do it because she liked Michael. He wasn't like any of the inmates here, which made him stand out.

"Michael."

"Yeah?" Michael walked over to his brother and Lincoln stood up straight, sighing.

"I-uh saw a man in the viewing room today." he said. Michael sat on the edge of the table.

"Well, yeah. They had a bunch of reporters in there." Lincoln shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"No, Mike. This man...he was, uh, he..." Lincoln sighed again, rubbing his hand over his head. "It was Dad, Michael." he finally got out. Michael froze and my jaw fell open.

"Aldo? Are you sure, Linc?" I asked, walking closer to him. Their dad left them many years ago, leaving them to fend for themselves.

"There's no way." Michael whispered, shaking his head. Lincoln closed his eyes briefly before opening them again.

"Michael, I know what I saw and it was-"

"Why would he come to your execution after all this time, huh?" Michael yelled. "No calls, no emails, nothing. You were probably imagining it." He was breathing hard and I could tell this was frustrating him. I put my hand on Lincoln's shoulder, stopping him from saying any more. A guard opened the door and we all looked at him.

"Scofield, Mrs. Burrows. Pope says to take you back to gen pop. Let's go." I turned to Lincoln and he cracked a smile.

"Go on. I'll still be here" he said softly, trying to reassure me. Michael put his hand on my back as we walked out and my heart felt like it was being tugged in different directions at the same time. We were silent as they led us back to our cells, and I could bet that Michael was thinking about his father. He never really knew his father like me and Linc did.

"We're getting close to finishing the break room. We won't be able to use the hole for long now." I told Michael and he put his hand on his chin.

"True. That means we have to fill it during P.I. today." he answered, walking into his cell. I walked into mine and I saw that Tweener wasn't in there. Perfect. I didn't want to hear his annoying voice anyway. I sat on my bed and thought about everything that had happened so far until it was time for P.I.

"Our number one priority right now is to fill this hole. Since we're almost done with the break room, that means our access to it might get limited and we don't need any of the guards finding out about our plan, got it?" Michael explained and the others nodded. Just then, Sucre burst in and waved his hands towards us.

"Clean up, now. Bellick is coming." he rushed out, turning to keep a lookout. We put the board over the hole and dragged the carpet back over it. C-note and Westmoreland carried the table and put it on top of the hole and pretended to be inspecting it just as Bellick walked in. He looked around with that scowl on his face and his hands on his hips.

"Something you need, boss?" Lincoln asked. Bellick grinned and I winced at how foreign that facial expression was on his face.

"I've just come here to tell you that you got a new addition to your little team here." he said and I almost dropped my paintbrush when I saw that it was Tweener. He smirked at me and I could feel my face heating up with anger.

"You can't do that." The words came out of my mouth before I could stop them and Bellick glared at me.

"I can do what I please, darling. I don't see Abruzzi here, do you?" I just stared at him, disgust in my eyes. "Exactly. Have fun." he said before slamming the door close. Tweener adjusted his outfit and grinned.

"What y'all got for me to do?" he asked, looking around as if he were searching for something. I threw all of the wet paint brushes in a bucket and shoved it at him.

"Go wash these off." He started to nod, but I wasn't done. "Out there." I pointed to the door and he sucked his teeth before turning to exit. "I don't wanna see on drop of paint on them." I called out as the door shut. I turned around and all of the guys were looking at each, the same thought in all of our minds.

"He's gonna be a problem."