Chapter 18

Later that day, when it was time to work, Sucre and I left, still wondering where Michael was. The guards were in the room we were supposed to be working in and I raised my eyebrows, wondering why they were in there.

"You guys will have to keep working in here for a few more weeks because of how bad the damage is." He looked around at us and frowned. "You're missing a soldier. Where is he?" The guard, whose name was Bull, asked.

"Right here." We all turned around and saw Michael walking in, a frown on his face. I mouthed 'are you okay' to him and he nodded before turning to the guard. "We'll take it from here." Bull left, along with the other guards and Sucre shut the door. I looked around at the group, which consisted of Lincoln, Michael, Sucre, T-bag, Westmoreland, C-note, and Abruzzi. Sucre pressed his ear against the door and gave me a thumbs up when he was sure that the guards were gone.

"Okay, so here's the thing." I started. "When I went down under, I heard noise coming from in here, and based on the route, it'll take us straight to where we need to go when we get out of here. But we need to dig and fix this room at the same time." I turned to Michael. "Where should we start?" I asked. Michael walked and bent down, lifting up the carpet until the drain was shown. He smoothed his hand over this and eyed us.

"We have to hammer into this until we hit the pipe. Then we'll know we've made it." He got up and grabbed mallets, tossing it at us, but he paused when he got to T-bag.

"C'mon, Pretty, we a team now." he said, running his tongue over his teeth. Michael tossed it at him roughly and we all looked at each other. "Best get cracking, eh?"

"You, shut up." Lincoln snapped, pointing at T-bag. T-bag held his hands up and with that, we all brought our hammers down and smashed the floor open. We did this for about an hour, but we were still only at the surface.

"Okay, I need a break." I said, panting. I leaned against my mallet and wiped the sweat that was on my forehead. The others mimicked my action and Lincoln cocked his head, looking at the ground.

"Where are we gonna put all this gravel? The C.O.'s are gonna have a field day with us if we don't hide this." he commented and I nodded.

"Good point. Michael?" I turned to him and he was eyeing the walls, and I knew the gears in his head were turning.

"When we fix the wall, we can put the gravel inside the wall and seal it in there. It should hold until we get out of here. If it rips through, we'll be long gone by then."

"We need something to scoop it up with." C-note added. "Like a shovel or something."

"I can get it from the shed where the workers outside work. It's not too far." I offered, putting the mallet down.

"Fine. Don't get more than two or we'll raise questions." Michael warned me. The others went back to work on the floor and I left the room, looking around to make sure no guard was around before I started towards the shed. It was the blue building close by and when I got there, I greeted the other workers and started looking for the shovels. I tossed some other tools aside as I searched, looking towards the back.

"Burrows!" I jumped when I heard Bellick call my name and I turned around quickly, swearing under my breath. He walked over to me, his signature scowl on his face. "This ain't where you're supposed to be. What'cha looking for?" He asked, glancing around me as if he would catch something I wasn't supposed to have on me.

"Just a shovel for the break room. We need a couple." I answered honestly, hoping he wouldn't think too much into it. He narrowed his eyes.

"All the tools you need are in that room. You doing something else other than fixing that room?" He asked, walking closer to me. I licked my lips and shook my head.