Chapter Three

The food tasted delicious and my belly hurts. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten that last piece of chicken. The company exceeded my expectations as well. Lucas and I recalled old memories and most of the time, they were hilarious.

When we were children and both present at someone's BBQ in the summer, we played together all day. At a certain point, we decided that smearing ketchup all over our faces would be a great idea. Then we ran to his mother and my aunt, claiming we were bleeding. Yes, it probably looked as ridiculous as it sounds now.

I don't know why, but we declared ourselves to be tomato-buddies and many adventures followed.

One time, we smeared ketchup all over someone's seat. It turned out to be his aunt's chair, who was wearing a beautiful white dress.

This other time, we found a little kid's shoes on a playground. As kids, we assumed someone became tired of the shoes and had deserted them. We just had lunch somewhere close and stole a couple of little ketchup bags. The deserted shoes were filled with ketchup, and we figured that because of our ketchup blessing, the poor shoes would go to heaven or something. Yeah, I don't know: kid's logic.

After a while, a kid who was playing in a sandbox returned to its shoes. The poor thing was crying like a baby when ants started crawling out of his shoes and onto his legs.

We sigh after we laughed together, looking back with nostalgia. How easy the things were back then. I still had my aunt Jenny, went to school like a normal girl and I didn't got haunted by nightmares almost every night.

"It's difficult, you know?"

I look at Lucas, trying to figure out what he means, but he quickly continues.

"It's harder than I expected, college I mean. I miss my friends from boarding school, we kinda grew up together."

His facial expression grows sad, making him look broken. I can't help myself but notice his undeniable beauty. His enchanting appearance to be found in a tragic state makes me stare. He could be a marvelous painting in a prestigious museum, attracting millions of spectators every year.

He quickly shakes off the sad feeling and asks me a question.

"How about you, do you already know which uni is going to enjoy the pleasure of having you?"

Oh no, I was hoping to avoid that subject.

"Ehm," I somewhat try to find the right words, "I'm not sure yet..."

College. I sigh internally. At this point, it's impossible for me to go so far away; to go to a place with so many people. I realise that without a degree, I will never realise the dreams I had in mind.
Panic slowly crawls into my head. Am I really going to live like this? Is everything going to be such a challenge?

I notice Lucas gazing at my worried face. He probably asks himself if he said something wrong. I want to explain to him it's not his fault, but I don't know how. The stress is taking over and, while being afraid I might do something embarrassing, I move my chair and excuse myself, leaving behind a confused Lucas.

The cold water cools my heated cheeks and feels pleasantly welcome. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I try to force myself in controlling the feeling that my abductors could be standing behind every door, prepared to take me captive.

Maybe next time, they won't give me back.

Stop it. They can't be here. I'm safe.

I look at myself in the mirror of the lavatory. This is the one and only reality right now: You are standing at this mirror, your dad and his guests are sitting at the dining table. No one else finds himself in or around this house.

I feel a bit more assured; courageous. Everything is alright, nothing to be worrying about.

With limp legs, but more confidence, I walk out of the small lavatory.

But my heart sinks to the ground when I literally bump into a tall figure.