Chapter Seventeen

I close my bedroom door. With my back against it, I let myself slide onto the floor. Tears roll over my cheeks and fall on my shirt with the stain. My head feels funny, although I'm not drunk. It's simply not possible

The trees outside cast long shadows inside my room. Small flakes of snow start falling down with more at a time. 

I want to move on and forget about what happened, but I just can't. I'm getting obsessed about wanting to know what happened, what the abductors did to me. It doesn't matter how awful the truth is: I must know. 

The shadows start dancing, just like the trees we've passed ten minutes ago. However, this time they seem to be changing their color AND shape. What the hell is going on? 

I quickly undress myself and put on a t-shirt and shorts, in which I usually sleep, although it's a bit too cold. I jump into bed and hide under the sheets. I stiffly close my eyes. 

Just go to sleep. 

Go to sleep. 

Go sleep... 

***

I wake up from a noise. 

My senses feel more intense than normally. I can hear myself breathe more clearly, I sense the cold and dry air with my skin and I see more clearly through the darkness of winter's night. 

Immediately I find out where the noise came from. Someone is spying on me in my room. He is patiently standing in the right corner, watching me. I only dare to take a glance at the entity. He is very tall and has blended himself brilliantly in the shadows. 

Oh my god, he has a gun.

I cover my mouth with one hand, while breathing sharply in and out. What should I do?! 

I try to think but I'm too stressed out. I have to run. Maybe he's here to take me again, or worse... I need to get out of here. 

On three. 

One. Two. Three! 

As fast as I can, I jump out of bed. My hand grabs the door handle and I swing the door open. 

I take six big steps until I reach the stairs. I rush down to the bottom and quickly look behind my shoulder. He followed me and reached the stairs just now. 

 I unlock the front door as fast as I can and run outside. I've only took one step when a black van abruptly stops on the driveway. 

This can't be happening. They're here again. 

When its doors swing open, I've already start running. My legs sprint as fast as they can and my breathing accelerates rapidly. I run into the woods, with only a weak shine of moonlight to make my path visible. The snow has already formed his first layer of white onto the ground, and it seems to be falling down from the sky more quickly by every heartbeat. 

My lungs hurt like hell because of the cold air, but I don't care. I hear noise coming from behind me. 

They're following me. 

I run and I run, passing tree by tree, heartbeat after heartbeat. 

Dear god, they're already so close. Everywhere I look, shadows are dancing and laughing and crying. 

What is happening?! 

I fall. 

No! 

Before I can stand up, he has reached me. He turns me around on my back, being almost invisible in the gloom of night. 

With his hands, he holds down my wrists into the snow. 

Please don't take me again! I scream and I cry and I struggle with every strength I have left in my body. 

A loud voice echoes through the woods as my name is called. "Giselle!"