Chapter Twenty

I've been lying in bed for almost two hours now. How can I sleep after the things that happened yesterday? 

My thoughts wander off to the shadows I saw in the woods. They feel like a memory. No, I'm sure they must be. Don't be too afraid to deny it. 

I sigh and lift myself up so I can sit up straight. As always at this hour, the shadows of the trees outside have invited themselves in my room. They waltz slowly on the rhythm of the wind. A sinister atmosphere crawls into my bedroom. I look at the corner were one of my imaginary attackers stood last night. It all felt so real. 

I still have a hard time believing there was no one there. But I believe Frank's story. Do I really? I shake my head. Victoria's brother was the only person at the party who gave me a drink. He's an odd person, I should be careful trusting him. But why would he drug me? We haven't met before, we don't know each other. Maybe he just likes the thrill of drugging a girl. What a bastard. 

All the things I felt and saw on the way home make more sense now. They were hallucinations. Memories. I rub my eyes. I saw a black van. Maybe that was the vehicle I was taken with. After I got blinded by Frank's flashlight, I saw two figures fight. Partners in crime or another victim? Someone who tried to save me? 

Maybe someone did save me... 

I jump out of bed and start pacing up and down, trying to ignore the obscure atmosphere. They were not alone, a third person was standing behind them. I'm sure of it. And I was laying on the ground, I couldn't move. The feeling of fear invades my body. Goosebumps appear on my skin. Come on Ell, try to remember what you saw. 

I look outside. I hardly can reconstruct my actions from last night. It happened so fast and I was drugged. But somehow, I need to force myself into yesterday. I have to remember what I saw. I can't drug myself of course. If just there was a way I could remember where I went exactly and where I saw the things that scared me. I abruptly stop pacing and snap my fingers. 

Frank's security camera's!

***

While reminding myself I need to start wearing decent pyjamas, the current are way too short for winter, I go downstairs.  The television in the living room is playing the rebroadcast of the eight p.m. news, with the sound muted, and its flickering light is the only one contrasting against the darkness. 

Frank hasn't gone to bed yet, although he must've been awake for more than twenty-four hours. He's sitting on the couch. I can see the profile of his face while he's not paying much attention to the tv. I take a step towards him, but change my mind and turn around. 

With silent steps, I reach my father's study. What are you doing? 

I quietly close the door behind me and go sit behind the desk in the comfortable chair. Why didn't you just ask Frank if he could show you the recordings of last night? 

The pc is still on, I just have to press enter and the screen comes to life. It's divided in four different parts. It shows the two camera's downstairs and the two upstairs. I can see Frank sitting in the couch on the first camera. It feels weird, spying on him like this, but at the same time, it gives me a great thrill. 

I find the rewind button and use it until I reach last night, around midnight. I hit play and after a while, someone enters the scene. 

It's me. 

I see myself rushing down the stairs in complete terror, looking back just one time. Then I disappear from the screen, just as sudden as I entered it. I need to find the outdoor camera's. 

I press an arrow and the two other camera's pop up: the one hanging at the backdoor and the one at the front. Again I rewind it until I see the front door wave open. I see myself running onto the street until the camera gets blinded by what seems to be a bright light. 

What in the world... 

I see myself coming to a stop and stare at the vehicle. 

Yesterday, I thought it was a van. Just a couple of hours ago, I thought it was a hallucination. But now, I've find out it was actually my dad's BMW. 

And Frank was sitting behind the wheel.