Chapter Fourty-Four

Vicky and I walk outside. We've just finished our last class and plan to go to the mall together.

"So, remember when I told you about that job I wanted to take at that lawfirm, but I couldn't get?" I ask her when we walk down some stairs.

She nods. "Yeah, I remember. I thought you said you got to be the backup?"

I start smiling. "Well, guess what?"

Vicky mirrors my expression and shows her teeth in a smile. "The bastard pianist got sick and you're getting the job?"

I nod with a smirk I cannot hide. "I'm playing tonight, and it's going to be huge. Last year, my dad's company threw a party in the same building. I'm telling you, it's the fanciest event I'm ever going to play at."

Vicky lays her hand on my shoulder. "On a scale from a gypsy's wedding to the Oscars, how fancy of a party is it?"

"Oh, definitely the 65e edition of a Cannes festival kind of fancy."

"Damn." Vicky says under her breath. "Do you even have a dress for that?" Her eyes widen and she start waving her hands. "Oh, we should go shopping and go to the hairdresser! Like we would for prom, if we would ever go."

Vicky and I are both sceptical about going to prom in a couple of months. We've become popular this year at school, but not the good kind. Prom would definitely be a disaster for us.

"Well," I say dramatically "it seems like you're going to need a dress as well, because you're going with me."

We're walking onto the parking lot when Vicky loses it. "Yes, I was hoping for you to say that, otherwise I would have to sneak in through a fire escape." Vicky takes my hand. "Ah, can you imagine all the hot lawyers coming to that party?"

I can spot the car. "Vicky, licenced lawyers are way too old for you. The youngest are like, I don't know, at least twenty-three." I say when spotting Frank leaning against the car. He looks slightly distracted. Or stressed, I don't know. It's always hard to tell with him.

Vicky smiles scornfully and then she hardly whispers: "Like Frank is that much younger than a lawyer."

I stare at the ground when I feel blood rising to my head.

Vicky bluntly continues. "And besides, there must be at least some law students present."

We arrive at the car. "Yeah," I say to her, while I hope that my face isn't visibly red "I don't doubt it." We both get into the car.

Frank appears to be on the phone with someone, and finds himself a couple of feet away from the car. I can't understand what he's talking about with the car doors being shut, blocking most of the sound.

Vicky pokes my side, causing me to jump. "Hey, don't do that." It tickles.

Vicky beckons to Frank. "How old is he anyway?"

Oh boy, I was afraid this conversation might go this way. "Ehm, I'm not sure actually."

Vicky looks sceptical. "He can't be older than twenty-five, right?"

I shake my head. "No no, I think he's twenty-two or something." I'm pretty sure he's twenty-three.

Frank's call looks to be ended and he's heading back to the car.

Vicky leans in to whisper. "Well, it doesn't matter, right? You're eighteen now, so it's all good."

I quickly punch her. "Vicky!" I loudly whisper. Just in time for Frank not to notice when he takes his seat. I sharply look at Vicky, trying to tell her that she should hold her mouth shut. She has some nerve. At the same time, I feel my face becoming red again. Vicky just smiles and greets Frank. "Hey Frank."

Frank nods. "Victoria."

I try to make eye contact with him through the rearview window, but he seems to be too distracted to notice. Is there something going on?

Vicky and I make eye contact. Even she notices something off in the atmosphere. Just when I wanted to ask him about it, he talks.

"You girls wanted to go somewhere?" He looks at me through the rearview.

"The mall, please. The one at Highstreet."

Franks immediately starts the car and just like that, we're on our way.

It's at least half an hour of a drive, but Vicky and I pass the time by talking about dresses, accessories and hairstyles. We might not go to prom, but this party is going to be the highlight of our year. Nobody's probably going to recognise us there, if we're lucky enough to be forgotten already after the mediastorm. We're planning on having a good time together, after I do my job for some time, that is.

Frank hasn't said anything during the ride to the mall, but I hardly noticed it until we arrive. He parks the car close the entrance, and I'm surprised he found a spot.

Vicky and I step out of the car, as excited as high school girls can be about shopping for a fun event. I should be a little ashamed, but I'm just having too much fun.

We're about to head for the entrance, just when Frank steps out of the car and withholds us from doing so. "Wait." Frank takes his cell phone out. "Go wait at the car for a minute."

Vicky and I look at each other, confused, but at the same time both vividly remembering that Frank saved both of our lives, we do what he asks without demuring. Once at the car, we follow Frank with our eyes, as we're extremely curious. He's walking with his phone pressed to his ear.

"What do you think he's doing?" I ask, as we're probably thinking the same.

"Meeting someone. Or picking something up."

I think about it for a second. "But don't you think that's a bit odd? I mean, we told him where we wanted to go. He couldn't have known beforehand."

"Look. I see someone."

I squint my eyes, because Frank has walked quite a distance now, and is continuing to walk. "I think there's more than one actually."

Frank puts his hand in the air and the small group responds in a similar way. They subsequently proceed to all walk into our direction.

Once they're all at the car, a couple of minutes later, Frank introduces his friends. "This is Tyler," he beckons to the man standing on his right "and that's Jabari." looking to his left.

They both nod when Frank tells us their names.

"Nice to meet you." I say and proceed to questionably look at Frank. He picks up my confusion and explains further. "Jabari and Tyler are colleagues of mine."

Vicky takes the word. "Well then, gentlemen, let's go." And just like that, Vicky walks confidently to the entrance of the mall, assuming we'll all follow. Jabari and Tyler follow her immediately, but Frank and I fall back.

"They're your colleagues, you say?"

Frank looks at me for a moment, while we're walking inside. He senses that something's bothering me. "You could say that." He composedly tells me.

"I thought you worked alone."

He, again, takes his time to answer. "I did, but..." He hesitates "changes had to be made."

That's a rather vague answer.

Frank knows I'm not satisfied with his explanation. He lays his hand on my back, and for a split second, I forget what we were talking about. A quick warmth spreads through my back.

"Listen, don't worry about it. Just enjoy your day and pretend we're not here."

We both notice Vicky waving to us from a distance. She clearly wants me to go to her.

I face Frank really quick, before making my way to my friend. "Okay, no problem."