Chapter Fourty-Six

On the way home from the mall, I contemplated the conversation I had with Frank earlier.

It took some time and effort to open him up about his life as a kid etcetera, I can't deny that, but it is his life after he turned eighteen that he won't tell me about. I can't help myself but wonder what happened after that, and more interestingly, if in that particular period of time his personality formed its shape.

Those were all the thoughts I spend on Frank. My mind had to clear space in order to focus on my upcoming performance which has taken the priority. As soon as I got home, I sat myself behind my beloved piano and used the time I could spare to practise speed and precision.

Minute passed minute while pressure found a way to crawl closer. It doesn't matter how many concerts I'll give: I know the stress before one will never go away. From experience, I know I have to end practising when these emotions arrive, otherwise the pressure will rise exponentially with every little mistake I make.

I sigh deeply and stand up. The next time I touch a piano will be in front of a huge audience.

"You're going to be fine, honey." My dad walks into the living room. He has seen me dozens of times before a concert and has developed experience on how to handle the situation.

"You can't be sure of that." I respond as always.

"Of course I can be sure of that." He smiles comforting. "And besides, I bet nobody in that audience has any idea how the music you're going to play should sound. Nobody will notice if you play a mistake."

"I will notice." I say childishly.

My dad looks at me like he knows he's right. I know he's right. He opens his arms to give me a hug. "What tie do you think I should wear by the way?"

I'm confused. "Are you going as well? How did you get invited?"

"Honey, you're forgetting my company is a big deal, I can get into any party I like."

I laugh. My dad does not like parties at all. I can't remember the last time he deliberately didn't take any excuse to avoid going to one.

"Besides," my dad continues, "Debby got me an invitation." Debby is my dad's assistant and a real miracle-worker. I know my dad's a 'big deal' in his field, but I'm utterly convinced his whole business will crumble to bits the day that woman decides to retire.

"You should go for the black tie, the feasty one."

My dad nods. "Okay, I will."

I don't have that much time until I have to leave, so I decide to put on some make-up. Nothing over the top: some mascara and lipstick will have to do. Meanwhile, the sun has set and the sereneness of the evening has taken its place. The night feels young and full of excitement...

It is in my bedroom that I take a look at myself in the mirror. I really like what that hairdresser has done to my hair. Everything is nicely tucked away, so I won't be bothered while playing the piano, but what a timeless hairdo she gave me nevertheless. Additionally, it complements the features of my face. I love it.

Almost as much as I love my newly bought dress.

Carefully, I unzip the back and place my feet and legs in the bottom part, whereupon I slide my arms through the long red sleeves. The skirt feels light, although being long. My shoulders and collarbone are elegantly exposed and when I walk around, you may catch a glimpse of my legs. Although undeniably stunning and attention-demanding being the main features of this dress, I find it comfortable.