Chapter Fifty-Three

I washed my face and changed clothes. There wasn't much to choose from, only some shorts that are slightly too big, and a sweater slightly too small. I might get cold at a certain point, but it'll do. I'm not particularly in a situation where I can afford to be picky.

I stare at my ruined red dress, which I've laid onto the bed. After everything that has happened tonight, I feel I should be panicking or at least feel extremely stressed. I feel fine though. I think. Am I getting used to anxious conditions?

I run my fingers through strands of my hair and decide to show myself again.

The fireplace is still burning wood and its light sufficiently illuminates the whole living room. I only notice Frank's silhouette when he moves and the flames, eager to make their warmth shine up to the kitchen, catch his movements.

"Are you hungry?" The touch of raspiness in his voice fits right into the setting of crepitant log fire by night.

"No, thanks." I walk to the couch.

"Tea?"

I nod my head, but add a vocal 'yes', just in case he didn't catch it midst the obscurity. I sit on the couch and wait for Frank to join me with tea. "How long are we staying here?" I raise my voice a bit, so he'll be able to hear me clearly over the distance between us.

"It depends." Frank doesn't take the effort to speak more loudly, but I understand him just fine. I guess he just has one of those voices. I wait for him to elaborate, only he doesn't.

He walks up to the living room and hands me a cup of tea. "Careful, it's hot."

I smile and thank him.

Frank goes standing next to the fireplace, facing me, with his own cup of tea. "Boring day, wasn't it?" He says sarcastically.

I chuckle. I'm not sure I even found his remark funny or uncalled-for.

Franks takes off his vest, lays it on the back of the couch and rolls up the sleeves of his shirt. "Why don't you tell me what happened exactly?"

I put my legs onto the couch and pull them close. I'm confident the heat of the fireplace will warm me up, but for now, I feel chilly. "I think you should tell me what happened. Why do the police think I'm abducted?" I take a breath. "Again." My tone is light, but serious.

Frank remains calm, yet serious as well. "The investigation about your past abduction is still going on, but they..." He corrects himself mid sentence. "... we thought there may be some people involved we initially didn't consider." Frank shifts his body weight to his other leg, while leaning against the countertop of the fireplace. "You can reach a lot of people when you have enough money and power."

I frown. "Policemen?"

Frank nods meaningfully. "The chaos that happened earlier tonight created the opportunity to place a legal target on our back, which will get more manpower involved. Because, apparently, you've been abducted by an armed and dangerous former special forces just hours ago. Police are searching for us everywhere. Your dad and I drew up a plan, in the unlikely case we had to run for one reason or another. Today classifies as one."

I closely watch Frank as he explains. "I don't expect every cop chasing us to be corrupt, but only a handful of bastards with a badge are needed to set things in pace."

I shiver by the thought an entire group of policemen could be called to act for unnecessary reasons. Not even unnecessary, more like positively wrong. "What's this plan of yours, exactly?" I ask when my thoughts slow down.