Chapter Fifty-Four

I lie awake in bed, staring at the ceiling. After Frank told me about finally giving a damn about someone, I asked him about my abduction in October. I felt the time was right and I wanted to know what happened exactly.

He told me everything he knew himself, still leaving me with some missing time I can't account for. I guess I'll probably never know. The urge to figure out what has happened to me isn't that great anymore as it was a couple of months ago. Besides, Frank basically told me he cared about me.

I shake my head in disbelief. Why am I that surprised though? I knew Frank must've at least cared a little about me when I was shot and had to be brought to the hospital. I faintly remember a chatty nurse telling me how Frank lost his temper with a doctor when the staff refused to let him see me.

I cover my face with both hands. For awhile now, I've been suppressing my feelings for him.

I feel like I can't do that anymore.

I sit up in bed and support my head in my hands. Wasn't it earlier tonight, before we left for the party, that Frank let me know he can't have me? I wonder why. Maybe because he's technically still working for me, which makes any kind of romantic relationship unprofessional.

I stand up and slowly walk back and forth through the bedroom. Frank is just outside my room, probably in the living room or kitchen, as there aren't many other rooms. He said he needed to take care of something and then would go sleep on the couch. I told him I would be just as comfortable sleeping on the couch, but he refused. Now I can't sleep and I feel guilty for taking up the bed anyway.

I go sit on the ground and lean against the bed with my back. I can't stop thinking about him. The fact that he's only ten feet removed from me, makes me crazy. I could easily just walk out of my room and ...

... I don't know what I would do.

I bury my face in my hands. Even if I don't know his reasons, I should respect his choice. I crawl back into my bed.

One minute passes, maybe two, and it becomes clear to me I won't catch sleep anytime soon.

I get out of bed and walk towards the door. I need a glass of water. What I really want is Frank, but only being in his presence will suffice for now.

I open the door.

Frank's in the kitchen, working on a laptop with satellite connection. I don't know where he got one. "Everything's fine." I say before he can ask. "I just want a glass of water." I walk up to the kitchen and fill a mug with water, because this house has no glasses apparently, none of which I can find at least.

We both lean against opposing counters, Frank with his arms crossed before his chest. When I glance at the laptop screen behind him, he follows my gaze and closes the device.

Hm.

I daringly look in his eyes. And I thought we were becoming more honest with each other.

He returns the exact same type of gaze.

I put my mug of water on the countertop and try to maintain a tough expression, crossing my arms before my chest the same way as him, but I get distracted. He's the type of guy that could easily become famous, if he would want to. Not only for his handsome physique, but the way he moves all over is sensational. You simply can't look away.

Frank doesn't break eye contact as well, but his gaze softens over time. Although nothing is being said, a lot of words are exchanged. And then something just...

Clicks.

From one moment onto the other, my breathing increases. My heart starts pounding faster.

I shouldn't have left my room. In front of Frank, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I want him, I'll admit that to myself.

After I open my eyes, I walk to my room without thinking about it too much and close the door behind me.

A couple of deep breaths later, I've calmed down a bit. My mind is more clear, but my heart is still pounding and no way my cheeks aren't as red as blood itself.

I run my hand through my hair when a thought pops up. I just left him standing in the kitchen, without saying anything before I left. I click my tongue. I can't behave like this. I should at least act normal until common sense returns to me.

I open my bedroom door again, and produce a faint 'goodnight' in direction of the kitchen. That was my plan, but I couldn't get past the first few letters, as Frank was standing just a couple of feet away from me, in front of my door.

We were both caught off guard. Our eyes locked on each other. Then, before I knew what was happening, Frank leans in and delicately presses his lips on mine. It feels brief, yet infinitely long at the same time.

The warmth of his kiss conveys to me, travelling down my spine and igniting a flame in my chest.

He slightly backs away and measures my reaction, like he's searching for a sign of permission from me.

I don't know whether my head or my heart is going to explode first. We look at each other and I decide to tide over the distance left between us. Yes, I want this. The muscles of my calves strain as I stand on the tips of my toes, joining my lips to his once again.

This time, it's different.

His hands make their way to my cheeks, cupping my jaw as he tenderly pulls me closer. Long fingers press into the curve of my neck as he kisses me more firmly, more willingly. Jeezus, this feels heavenly.

My body aches from standing on my tip toes. I fight it, but my balance ends up swaying. Frank swiftly lowers his arms to embrace my waist, leaving a trail of heat wherever his touch grazed my skin. I reach out my arms to rest my hands in his neck.

My breathing grew shallow as my heart pounded heavily. I can't believe this is really happening. A soft sigh escapes my parted lips and Frank answers by tightening the muscular grip around my waist. My heart skips a beat.

If I could, I would choose to stay in this moment forever.

Unfortunately, physics is a bitch.

Frank allowed space to come between us and our lips detached from one another. I close my eyes. Frank rests his forehead against mine while both our breathing gradually calms down. My body is on fire.

He touches my lower lip with his thumb. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that."

A flood of warmth conquers my body from head to toe as I open my eyes to meet his. I wanted to ask what took him so long, but I already know the answer.

For starters, he technically works for my father. Getting involved with the daughter of your boss is hardly ever a good idea. Secondly, I'm barely eighteen. He's twenty-five. We're finding ourselves on the verge of inappropriateness.

But I don't care about it as much as I maybe should. Instead, I answer briefly. "Same."

Frank loosens his grip around my upper body and I take my hands back to me.

"I forgot to say goodnight." I say, almost not recognising my own voice.

He takes a step back, but not before planting a kiss on my forehead. "Goodnight, Elle." Frank sounds sweet, but I detect a hint of sadness which I can't place.

He leaves.