Chapter Twenty-Two

Frank is spying on Lucas. 

Why? 

I don't know. 

Yet. 

From anger, I drop the file on the desk. Dammit. Who is this guy? He lied about what happened last night, he's spying on one of my friends and he's supposed to be the person I trust my life with? What else is he hiding? 

I continue my search for a key that could open the locked drawer. Whilst searching, I cast a quick look at the screen with the security cameras. The tv is still irregularly lightening the room. But something's wrong. 

Then I see it: Frank isn't in the room anymore. I curse silently. I hope he hasn't decided to come to the study. Quickly, I organize the mess on the desk in the same state as I found it, just in case. 

"What are you doing in here?" 

Dammit. 

I didn't hear Frank come in at all. I open my mouth and close it again, while making up an excuse. "Ehm. My dad asked me about a phone number." Come on, Elle, you're not believable enough. "He said I could find it on his desk." I grab the first blank little piece of paper I see. I cover most of it up with my hand when I briefly hold it up in the air. 

Frank stares at me with his arms folded while standing in the door opening. His posture fierce and motionless. He looks quite impressive, although he looks tired as well. 

I try to swallow, but my mouth and throat are too dry. I hope my facial expression doesn't give away my lies. I stand up from the chair and walk with fake confidence towards the door opening, although it's mostly blocked by Frank. I feel more relaxed when I've almost escaped the room, until a strong arm against my stomach prevents me from leaving. I was so close...

I look at Frank while praying my face doesn't look too guilty. He can be very daunting after all. 

"Are you feeling alright?" 

I examine his expression to make out if he's genuinely concerned about how I'm feeling or if he knows I was sneaking around. I answer without breaking eye contact. "I'm good." 

His arm is still obstructing my way out, making me trapped. 

Seconds pass. We both don't look away from each other, like we're measuring dominance. I swear I can hear my heart pound in my throat. 

The tension builds up. His dark eyes seem to be digging into mine, behind the mask of dishonesty I've put on. 

Just when I can't hold it any longer and was about to look away, he speaks. 

"Great." He says laconically. ''Let's have a talk then." Frank turns around and heads for the kitchen without looking back. 

Did he bought my act? I honestly can't tell. I hesitate before following him. I look differently at him now. 

Previously, I had a feeling he was a man of many mysteries. You can tell by the way he speaks: short and to the point, revealing not much about himself. Or by the way he stands and walks, steady and forcefully, like no one could ever break him. But now, when I have revealed at least one of his mysteries, I want to distance myself from him. I'm even a little afraid of him. If he thinks spying on my friend like this is okay, then how far away does he place his other boundaries? What else is he capable of?

I straighten my back and start walking towards the kitchen. Who knows what his other secrets are about. I enter the kitchen and place myself on a stool, facing Frank while he's standing behind the kitchen counter. 

I make myself a silent promise, looking at his dark and intense eyes. 

I'm going to find out.