Chapter Twenty-Six

Seconds seem to get stretched out before my chest hits the solid branch.

I immediately try to swing my leg on the branch as well, and I succeed on the third try. As cautious as possible, I hoist myself on the branch. Okay, now you have to be quick and smart. Don't stretch it too long. Holding my balance as good as I can, I crawl to the trunk of the tree. There, I climb down from branch to branch. I've always been a good climber and my flexibility allows me to be even more so. I reach the last branch, but I'm still pretty high removed from the ground. My escape plan has been a success so far, but this is the part I failed in last time.

I feel my phone vibrate in my purse. It's probably Lucas, but I'm too busy to answer right now. Okay. Let's do this. With a strong grip, I place my gloved hands around the lowest branch of the tree. Then, I jump again. I immediately feel the pressure in my shoulders and back when my legs are left dangling in the air. Come on! I swing my legs back and forth. It's now or never. I let go.

It's too dark for me to see clearly, but I felt the solid ground just fine. First my feet, then my knees and eventually my chest, arms and face hit the cold ground. Awch. I push myself of the ground and check for injuries. I find none. Yes.

With some painful muscles and bones, I stand up. I actually did it.

Somewhere a light appears and illuminates a couple of trees ten feet away from where I'm standing. The light has to come from inside the house. Now I know where Frank is. But this adds a complication as well. I have to take a detour, so I'll not be seen: deeper into the woods than I previously had in mind.

It's almost midnight, cold and dark. Those are not the most pleasant conditions to take a walk in the forest. But I'm too exposed right now. If Frank decides to look through the wrong window or come outside for whatever reason, he'll see me immediately. Let's get moving then.

I'm lucky there are no clouds tonight and the bright moon helps me see through the dark. But the deeper I go into the woods, the more difficult it is to use the moonlight as my only light source, because of the trees. Thank God the smartphone has been invented. I zip my purse out of my jacket and search for my phone. Lucas has send me a message: Parked not far from your home. Are you coming? I quickly answer: On my way.

I use my cellphone's flashlight and get going. At first, I had to concentrate on walking, but it quickly became more easy and my thoughts wandered off. I had no idea more girls were drugged at that party. But why? Did Vicky's brother had intentions or did he just drugged some girls for the sake of it? He seemed a bit off, but I didn't expect him being the sort of person to do this, when I met him. Then again, I don't know him very well and I haven't been in this type of situation before.

I don't know how long I've been walking until I see the headlights of an Audi, parked at the side of the road. As I come closer, I can make out Lucas leaning against the front of his car. Again it amazes me how handsome he is: tall and athletic, beautiful in every way.

I approach him. "Lucas?"

He smiles and leaves his leaning position when he sees me come out of the woods and onto the road. "The road is too mainstream for you, right?" He nervously rubs his hands together.

I smile back at him and raise my shoulders. "I guess it is." It is silent for a couple of seconds, when Lucas doesn't seem to know what to do. Is he really being nervous? But why? "Lucas, is everything alright?" I say as I take a step closer towards him.

This seems to bring him back to his senses. "Yes. Yes, of course."

He walks towards his car and opens the door to the passenger's seat.

"Shall we?"