Chapter 2. Not Just Some Guy...

I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

"Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

"She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

"I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

"So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouraging-ly.

"I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.

"Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”

"KENNEDY JANE MARTIN!"

My eyes snapped up from the glorious story written before me that I had my face buried into, Lydia was bursting through my door into my bedroom looking all out of sorts. Oh what is it now? I literally finally am able to sit down and read for a few moments but here she comes to interrupt. It's a never ending cycle. 

I sighed as I closed the book, I'll have to read about how amazing Peeta is later. "Yes, Lydia?" I asked as I set the book on my nightstand. 

"Why haven't you been answering my phone calls? I've literally been calling you for the past ten minutes." She huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest in pure annoyance. 

"About that, I was just kind of absorbed in my book and I guess I didn't hear the phone ringing," I was totally lying. I had heard the phone ringing. For the first ten calls, I actually sent her straight to voicemail.. 

She scoffed, "Ken, you sent me to voicemail!"

"Okay you're right, I'm sorry. But, in my defense-- I was reading about Peeta and Katniss. It's damn near impossible to ignore them." I pointed out with a serious expression. One simply does not stop reading an Everlark scene mid-way through, it's not logical.

Her spring green eyes widened, "But you can ignore your own cousin? You make no sense, and haven't you already read that book like seven times?" 

"Nine, actually. Anyway, not that I don't love seeing you or anything, but what are you doing here?" I asked as I quickly changed the subject, once I start talking about The Hunger Games, it takes a lot to get me to stop. I am actually doing her a huge favor right now. 

Lydia flipped her curly hair off of her shoulder and sat down on the edge of my bed, folding her legs over one another gracefully, and then turned to face me, "What are you wearing to the party tonight?" 

I rose an eyebrow, "Why?"

"So we don't clash, duh." She retorted. 

"Why do you always think we'll clash? It's happened maybe one time," I huffed as I slid off of my bed and padded my way over to my closet, sifting through the plethora of dresses that I have accumulated over the years. A huge bonus to being the cousin and best friend of Lydia Martin, was that she was literally like a fashion barometer. She could pick out the latest trends, and what fit me best. I'm not really a huge mainstream kind of girl, but some of the things that she finds for me are freaking gorgeous.