Chapter 21. The Betrayal

STILES' POV

"Call it again." Scott demanded as he rifled around with his nightstand, pulling the drawer open and then dropping to the floor to check underneath it. 

I rolled my eyes dramatically, "It's not here." 

"So you lost your phone? Why can't you just get a new one?" I continued as I watched him leap over his bed, dropping to the floor once more to sift through the pile of clothes. His room was an absolute mess. I guess that's understandable considering he really doesn't have any free time to clean it at the moment though.

Scott huffed as he pushed himself up off the floor, "I can't afford another new one. And I can't do this alone, we have to find Derek." 

"Well, A, you're not alone. You have me." I grinned as he completely ignored my statement. I sighed and continued on to the other topic of discussion, "And, B, didn't you say that Derek walked into gunfire? He sounds pretty dead." 

After I left Kennedy's last night I had no idea that I would end up getting a phone call from Scott in the early hours of the morning. He had caught me up on his nightly adventure, which was far more action-packed than mine. Apparently Derek had taken Jackson and tried to kill him or something, why Scott decided to stop him is beyond me, and then the Argent's showed up like a freaking small military squad and unloaded their guns into the barely-standing Hale household. Scott had gotten hit by a stray bullet and Derek ushered him out before he literally walked out the front door into the gunfire. Scott then told me that Deaton had found him and patched up his wound, Peter showed up at the animal clinic threatening to get to someone more "vulnerable" to get Scott to join his pack, ergo Scott thinks he meant Allison. 

"The Argent's plan was to use him to get to the alpha. They're not gonna kill him." He breathed out as he stepped into his excuse of a bathroom, it was more like an extra closet or storage space to him than anything. 

I sighed again, "All right, so then just let them do what they're planning, you know? They use Derek to get Peter, problem solved."

"Not if Peter is going after Allison to find Derek!" He shouted as he stormed out of the bathroom, dropping a pair of jeans onto his already cluttered floor, " I can't protect her on my own, which means we need to find Derek first." 

He then sped over to his desk and began pushing his books and small nick-knacks aside as he inspected the shelves for that small black device, "Just--just help me!" He pleaded desperately. Scott then threw a rubber ball and it bounced off the side of my head. 

I shot him an annoyed glance, "You know, you probably lost it when you two were fighting. You remember that? When he was trying to kill you? After you interrupted him trying to kill Jackson? Are you starting to see a pattern of violent behavior here?" 

Scott stopped his assault on his desk and let out a heavy sigh, "He wasn't going to kill anyone, and I'm not going to let him die."

"Could you at least think about letting him die? For me?" I asked seriously. Derek was such a hindrance in our lives. Ever since Scott got bit, Derek has literally been the cause of every problem we've had to deal with. Again, I'm sensing a pattern here. 

The sound of the breaks on the car that Scott and his mom share flitted into the room and once again, Scott stopped what he was doing and froze momentarily. "What?" I asked in confusion. 

He sighed as he pressed his backside into his desk, "My mom just got home from work."

I watched Scott's face portray sadness and guilt as his eyes remained fixed on the floor. He was listening to her, that much was obvious, but we don't all have super-sonic werewolf hearing so I have no idea what is going on or why Scott looks so upset.