Chapter 4. Catching

"I hate the cold, hate it." I complained as my body continued to shiver beneath the fabric of my jacket. I don't understand why I have issues with keeping warm, but I am literally always cold, and sitting outside at night to watch a lacrosse game doesn't help much. 

Beacon Hills had a name for itself with winning the league every year, Jackson made it his life mission to make sure that we were at the top, because much like my cousin Lydia-- he didn't do the whole loser thing. When he graduates I only hope that there will be another captain as passionate as him, or Finstock will be in for a rude awakening. 

Lydia sighed as she glanced at me sideways, "Kennedy now is not the time to be complaining. Get  into the winning spirit. Now come on," she then hooked her arm through mine as she led me down the sideline of the field towards Scott and Stiles, who were approaching from the other side. Instantly my cheeks heated up and my face didn't feel as cold as it did two seconds ago. What is she doing?

Upon reaching the two boys whom my cousin never interacts with, she released her grip on me and grabbed a fistful of Scott's jersey as she tugged him towards her, "Scott, I just want you to remember one thing for tonight." 

I glanced at Stiles, only to find him looking at me. We both looked away from each other quickly, knowing that we had been caught for staring or in my case preparing myself to stare at him. This whole crush thing is really starting to become a problem and I need to find some way to fix it before the entire school finds out that I'm about as socially awkward as Greenberg. And nobody likes a Greenberg, trust me on that one.

"Uh, winning isn't everything?" Scott replied awkwardly as he glanced at Lydia's small hand that was still gripping his jersey. 

Lydia smirked as she straightened out the sleeve of Scott's jersey, "Nobody likes a loser." 

With that said she stalked off, leaving me to stand beside Stiles and Scott in total awkward silence. I glanced at them both briefly before I began to suffer from a massive case of word vomit, "Uh good luck tonight, not that you'll need it because you're actually a really good player, and the team really needs you, but still I'll wish you good luck because that's the appropriate thing to do."

Scott cracked a smile and nodded once, "Thank's Kennedy, I really needed to hear that." 

My eyes then fell on Stiles and I began to speak once more, "And I really hope you get to play tonight. I come to every game to see--" I quickly cut myself off when I realized what the hell I was actually about to say. Oh what is wrong with me? 

Stiles was watching me with wide eyes and red cheeks, obviously waiting to hear what I was going to say to him, but I wasn't about to disclose that particular information just yet. It's not like I want to let him know that I have feelings for him, that would be a disaster. 

"Kennedy! Come on!" Lydia shouted from the bleachers, I silently thanked my lucky stars as I walked away from the awkward situation I had left behind. I need help.

STILES POV

"Dude did you hear that?" Scott asked as I tossed my bag down on the ground beside the bench in annoyance. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Every time I am near that girl I lose the ability to speak coherently and think rationally. It's starting to become an issue, my ten year plan is not going to work if I don't learn how to speak to her without making a complete fool out of myself.

I glanced at Scott as I let out a sigh, "Hear what? My total inability to say "Oh hey Kennedy, thanks for the good luck and for wishing that I could get to play" yes Scott, I heard it, or well didn't hear it since it didn't freaking happen."