Chapter 19. Madigan to the Rescue!

KENNEDY'S POV

When I got home after the game last night, I still hadn't heard from Stiles, and my mom was gone. I didn't really care where she went if I was being completely honest, it's not like we normally hang out together anyway. I hardly ever talk to her anymore, when I say something it's just in one ear and out the other. It's pathetic. My life is turning into one of those crappy B-rated movies about a teenage girl. 

The next morning when I woke up to the smell of bacon, I was highly confused. My growling stomach was the reason that my feet carried me down the stairs, only to find my mother "slaving" away at the stove. She was wearing that stupid white silk robe that she's had for years and her dirty blonde hair was pulled up into a knot on the top of her head. 

I cleared my throat to get her attention and she jumped slightly, dropping the spatula onto the counter before turning around to face me. Her eyes widened slightly, "Kennedy, good morning... I was going to come and wake you when breakfast was done."

My eyebrow shot up, "Why are you making breakfast? Trying to show off for Mr. Harris?" I cringed as the name left me and I silently prayed that he wasn't upstairs in her bed. 

"Adrian... I mean, Mr. Harris, did not stay over if that's what you're implying. I actually decided to do this because we need to talk." She sighed before turning her attention back to the sizzling bacon. 

I hopped up onto a bar stool and rested my elbows on the granite counter top. My mom took pride in having nice and expensive things, she always has, so it was no surprise that she had to have the next best looking house on the street, Lydia's family obviously had the first. I flinched at the thought of running across Lydia today. 

This whole argument is so stupid and I really just want to move on from it, but I know that we won't ever be able to be the way we were before until she tells me why she hates Stiles so much. I don't understand it. He has never said or done anything to her that would deem him worthy of her hateful wrath. All he did was be nice to me, and if that's all it takes to get Lydia Martin to hate you, then I won't ever have another friend again.

"Have you and Lydia gone shopping for your dresses yet?" My mom asked light-heartedly, attempting to change the subject. 

I blinked once before deciding on lying to her, "We're actually going out shopping for them today." Lydia was not coming with me today. I was going by myself because apparently I don't have any other friends, I would invite Stiles but he still isn't answering my text messages. I certainly do not want to appear entirely too clingy, so I decided to just stop sending them to him.

"That's exciting, I presume you have a date? Lydia must be going with Jackson." She chuckled, flipping the bacon over. I inwardly scoffed, if only she knew that Lydia had actually cheated on Jackson because he was being a complete and total asswipe to her.

I nodded once, "It's so exciting."

"Are you okay with me dating?" My mom suddenly asked, her tone hesitant. 

My head fell back as I let out a sigh, "Do we really have to have this discussion at ten in the morning? I'm not up to full mental capacity just yet." 

She spun around and placed her hand on her hip, "I am going to continue dating, I just want to know if you are comfortable with it or not. If you aren't then I won't bring people around."

My eyes widened slightly, "Excuse me?"

"It's been eight long years, Kennedy. I've been lonely, you've been lonely. Your father would not have wanted us to be like this, I know he wouldn't have." She sighed, desperately trying to plead with me to entertain this idea of her prancing around Beacon Hills with a different man every week.