t w o

Class time is nearly over and I still struggle on the last question of my exam. My mind runs on that stranger from last weekend, even though I tell it not to. Why is his image popping in my head? In fact, I can't stop thinking about him. I scratch my head, forcing my eyes to look at the paper. Who is he? That's the question that I want answers to. Well, it doesn't matter, because I'll never see him again. I've decided to never go clubbing with Mara, though I haven't' told her what happened. It was the biggest disaster, really. I haven't spoken to Everest, and I do everything in my power to avoid being anywhere near him. What a low life creep. I have a new hatred for boys like him.

The professor raises his short hand, signaling that time is up and that we must pass our papers to the front. I sigh heavily, feeling tormented. My mind can't seem to drop it.

The other students get up and walk over. I slowly follow.

"Earth to Rose! Earth to Rose!" Mara finds her way towards me.

"I missed one question," I admit, after laying my paper of the prof's desk.

We exit the mundane premises and walk to the nearest coffee shop.

"Oh, that's not so bad. What's with the long face?" she asks me, squishing my face between her hands.

I shrug my lazy shoulders.

"Nothing," I sigh.

It's something, but it's too complicated to explain to her. Also, she'll jump and run with whatever I say. We walk in the coffee place and enter the line.

"I'll have a soy mocha," Mara orders her usual.

I add, "A caramel frap for me."

Later, we sat at the table near the wall. There weren't many people sticking around, thankfully. The only audible sound originates from the mounted television, which broadcasts dreary news.

"I got to tell you something," I start.

Mara sets her cup down and looks at me. She has to listen to what I have to say. What are best friends for?

"What's up?"

"Remember when we went clubbing on the weekend?" I ask. I take the straw and sip my drink for a while. "Everest was there... but he tried to force himself on me."

Mara gasps in the most dramatic of ways.

"What? No! I'll punch him in the face! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Shh!" I try to fan the steam. "Chill out. I didn't get hurt or anything. He was most likely drunk. I'm just disappointed."

"I'd be livid. And I would make a complaint," Mara slams the little circular table.

"To who?" I roll my eyes, drinking my sweetened coffee.

"To the freaking student council! I don't know!" she throws her hands in the air now.

I take a deep breath, ready to brush it off.

"It's not a big deal. Besides, I don't think he'll try something stupid again, because he probably wet his pants when this other guy saved me."

Mara's face contorts in confusion. I stir the straw around in my cup.

"A-another guy?" she demands, "Where was I?"

"You were also drunk, dancing away. Remember?"

Of course, she wouldn't really remember. She frowns for a minute and then shines a nosy smile.

"Who's the other guy?" she wriggles her brows at me.

I rest my head in my hand and say, "I don't know. Some tough looking guy."