f o r t y n i n e

[a/n: unedited-come back later i might have changed things]

"It bounced."

The back of my throat dries up. That must mean I didn't receive this week's paycheck. Again.

"Uh, sorry," I retract the useless cheque from the landlord's hand. "I'll, uh, just pay in cash."

The landlord folds his arms and sighs, waiting outside, as I make my way into the kitchen. I quickly open the cabinetry and reach for Ryder's old cereal box—where I've carefully hid the band of money that Judah left a while back.

I didn't intend to ever touch that sum, but I wanted the landlord to leave. 

My thumb easily slides out a few bills that should make up two months worth of rent. I pray nothing will come back to haunt me later on, especially when I don' know for certain where Judah's money originates from. I put things back and return to the door.

"Here," I say.

He frowns, but takes it without questions. After grunting and stuffing the pockets of his soiled jeans, the old slug trails off.

My hand pushes the door shut and I breathe out.

Exhaustion preys on my body.

I close back the light and fall back into bed, next to a now wide-eyed Ryder. My palm rubs his back.

"Go back to sleep," I whisper, ready to sleep myself.

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

Little Ryder sticks up his finger and says, "Boo-boo."

"Uh-oh," I say, despite the fatigue in my voice. "You got a boo-boo? Let me kiss it."

I smooch where he apparently needs healing.

"Okay, now is sleepy time," I say, but sound like I'm begging.

"Mommy?"

"Shh," I try my best to put little Ryder to sleep. "Close your eyes."

My phone begins to ring, which gets him to jump onto his feet. He runs over to the kitchen table and grabs it. Groaning and getting up, I curse everything under the sky. I can barely keep my eyelids up.

"No, Ryder. Give me the phone. Go back to bed."

He skids under the table to hide, giggling. I snatch my phone out of his hands, before he could mess with it.

"Bed," I say a little more firmly.

He pouts and hugs my legs. I repeat myself and he goes. I watch him crawl under the sheets, making pillows fall.

The phone ceases.

Judah. 3 missed calls.

I hit the off button.

♠♠♠

Ryder had a fairly good day at daycare. With the time I have, I decide to find him some new running shoes.

Thankfully, the worker informs me that they're having a sale, as soon as I walk in.

I drag my little man to the kiddie aisle, preventing him from running wild in the mall.

"Ooh," I try to get his attention, "Look at these spider-man shoes."

I quickly pick up his size and scan the pair.