f o r t y f i v e

I'm still caught up on Judah's expression last night. I didn't quite understand him—was he mad? He's been difficult to read, ever since we found one another. 

I scoff at the thought, as I wipe down tables. How dare he be mad? He has no right. Then, he has the nerve to just hand me money, like it's nothing. Money was always nothing to him.

What really happened—after he disappeared that day? He seems too well off and has really matured, compare to three years ago. 

He doesn't know what I went through—and I doubt he cares, by the way he waltzes in my life as he pleases.

I scrub the tables harder, feeling angry that I ever answered his call. I should have stuck to my guns and say no. He doesn't know the sleepless nights, the tears, the fear, the panic... He doesn't know how long I kept waiting and waiting. Even when he was gone, I had nightmares.

Now, he wants to come and play the part... without any explanation as to why I suffered so much.  

I mock his voice under my breath, "At least get a better mattress. Psh! What do you know? Jerk. I got that bed on sale."

"Rosalie!" Deidre yells from across the restaurant. "You're working until 11pm."

I straighten my aching back.

"You can't be serious! I finish at 2:30, today," I contest.

"Well, it's changed to 11," she repeats. I glare at her, as she raises her voice. "If you got a problem with that, you could find another job."

She corners me with her harsh words. I roll my eyes, throwing the cloth down on the table.

"I have to pick up my son from daycare. You know that," I walk up to her.

"This business isn't responsible for your baby," she turns.

I frown, "But I am. And I work for this business. The least you could do is give me some time—" I argue, before Deidre cuts me off.

"Rosalie!" she shuts me down, pronouncing every syllable sharply. "Your shift ends at 11. That's the end of this conversation. Finish the tables."

With that, Deidre pushes through the doors of the kitchen and disappears. I want to pull her hair out of her scalp. My rage boils over. I can't stand her snotty face.

My wristwatch catches my attention. It's a quarter to 2. If I don't pick up Ryder on time, I'll be in big trouble—more than I want to admit.

Mara used to help me, but she's somewhere in the sky, serving travelers. Ms. Tabitha moved away.

No, no. I can't. I can't. I can't...

My hand slips my phone out of my pocket. I stare at it, as time ticks on. Okay, fine. But what would you do if there were no Judah in town? I can't think of anything. I would go get him myself, and deal with being fired after.

I press Judah's number. It rings. I return to my post, waiting. I gasp when it clicks.

"Rose?"

His deep voice still knows how to send chills down my spine.

"Hi," I say quietly.

"How are you?" he asks me.

I hear short, repetitive clanging noises in the background, which sound like he's at the gym or something. I shake my head, getting back to the task at hand.

"I'm stuck at work—until late. Could you..." I sigh, "Could you pick up Ryder... from daycare for me?"

"What time?" he then asks.