t h i r t y e i g h t

"Rose."

My eyes blink open, as my throat groans. My arms feel a little stiff from sleeping on my side, but I manage to lift my body and wake up.

Judah, looking a tad sweaty, helps me to my feet. What took him so long? From what I gather, it's early morning outside. With one eye still sleeping, and the other on Judah's expression, I can tell that we have to move. A drum of thunder echoes in the air, with rain knocking over the windows.

I whine with my head down, "Judah, I want to go home."

Ignoring my plea, he pulls me onto my feet and throws his jacket around my shoulders.

"Let's go in the car," his deep raspy voice says to me, yet his eyes are far away.

Judah takes me by the hand and leads me down the stairwell. I walk by his side like a zombie.

There isn't a single soul in this huge mansion, as we pass by all the empty rooms and foyers.

Once Judah opens the front door, I stare at the gloomy rainfall and dark clouds. A sharp shiver strikes my back. I clutch Judah's leather jacket closer to me, as we tread through the storm and into his car.

The only warmth I can feel is his steady hand. I notice the difference, when he lets go to open the door for me.

God, Rosalie. You need to stop. You shouldn't trust him.

My head and feet get soaked. I hop inside quickly, already feeling breathless.

In a matter of seconds, Judah drives coarsely on the road. The windshield wipers are insufficient on their own to keep our view clear, but that doesn't prevent Judah from speeding at all. The rain pours hard.

In a couple of hours, he brings us to a hotel. We walk in, and I make my way into the nearest bathroom to find a handy towel. If I caught a fever because of all this, I'd be livid.

My stomach is starving. My skin is shivering. My eyes are dreary. My baby is kicking.

As I step back out, Judah helps himself to a full glass of complementary whiskey. I didn't really want to see him. But then again, I didn't want to be alone either.

I don't fully trust him, so I keep my distance.

Though he seems distant, anyway...

What's going to happen now? Everything is going downhill and I don't know what to do.

I think about the time my best friend asked me if the good outweighed the bad. Right now, the good memories I have of Judah begin to blur.

Judah's voice rips me from my thoughts.

"How do you feel?"

My head turns towards him. He gives me a quick glance, but keeps his eyes away.

I say, "I almost died."

I dared myself to say that it was also his fault, but my mouth had already closed and Judah's had opened.

"I—"

"What? You're sorry?" I raise my tone and groan. "Innocent people were shot because of me. What am I supposed to do?"

"Rose," he sighs, refusing to fight with me.

"Is this ever going to end? I'm sick of it. This is why I didn't want to stay with you."

I turn away and start talking to myself like I'm delusional.

"I have a baby on the way. I have no money, no home. I have disappointed parents.  And... I have a piece of shit in front of me."

Judah takes a sip of his whiskey, "Name me another piece of shit that'll put his life on the line for you."