Chapter 1: Donut

You slowly walked into the spider parlor. You had been craving some spider pastries lately. Even though everything was overpriced in the extreme, you couldn't ignore your sweet tooth. As you walked in, spiders greeted you fondly, waving their front legs before disappearing into the webs and shadows.

"Uhuhu~" A familiar giggle sounded throughout the area. "What's this? It seems our little human friend has made a return."

You look up to see the mischievous spider woman being lowered on a seat made of web. Her upper and lower right arms held on to one connecting web line while the middle held a teapot. Her upper left arm held the other connecting web line while the middle and lower arms held a teacup and saucer. She smiled at you, each of her eyes blinking in turn.

"Well hello there, dearie." She greeted. No matter how warm her intentions were, something about the way she spoke always sent shivers down your spine. "What brings you here today? Could it be that you want some more of our delicious pastries?"

You nodded.

"Uhuhuhu~! I knew their charms were impossible for you to resist. You may have as many as you like, for the right price, of course~"

You had been saving up gold for a while now. You hoped you had enough for at least one pastry.

"Now, what would you like~?"

You were really in the mood for a donut. Whatever glaze Muffet used was heavenly. Just the thought of its sweetness made your mouth water.

"A donut, hm? Coming right up, dearie. That will be 900g, if you please~"

900g? That was it? You had expected a lot more. You gave the spider woman a confused look.

"Hm? Something wrong?" Muffet asked, a spider lowering itself beside her to listen in.

You took a moment to think of how you wished to word the question. You wanted to be as polite as possible, but still wanted an answer.

"Why have my prices dropped? Have you not heard, dearie?" She giggled. "Your continued patronage has helped us raise more than enough money to reunite the spider clans. The spiders from the RUINS will be moving here in just a few short days~"

That was wonderful news. You hadn't realized how much you had helped. You smiled, happy to have helped yet another monster.

She giggled again. "Uhuhu. So, since you helped us reach our objective, you get a special discount."

Another spider lowered itself beside you, offering you a large donut.

"Here you are~" Muffet said.

You accepted the donut and gave the little spider the gold in return. It smiled at you, returning to the mass of webs above. You took a bite of the donut. It was delicious as always.

"We truly cannot thank you enough for all your help, (y/n)." Muffet said, smiling. For once, you actually felt the warmth behind her words and grin. There was no mischief behind either this time, it was genuine. Your heart beat a little faster for a couple moments.

"Did you want something else? Perhaps another playdate with my pet~?"

You quickly excused yourself from the offer, turning to leave the parlor.

"Oh well. Maybe next time~?" With a giggle, her seat began to rise, taking her back to the spider haven above.

You paused just outside the spider lair. You finished the last bite of your donut, licking the sweet glaze from your fingertips. Usually you left Muffet's lair with a chilly feeling of uneasiness, but this time was different. You felt happy and warm. You had helped the spiders of the Underground in their reunion.

After a moment of thought, however, you felt a little sick. That means you spent a lot of gold on pastries. You suddenly felt pretty fat for eating all those sweets, even if you didn't do so all at once. You shot a self-conscious glance at your stomach, but it didn't appear to have changed size. You sighed.

Your mind returned to Muffet. Something about her seemed...Different. Different than the first time you met her. Then, she seemed like a creepy sadist who enjoyed making money while watching you suffer. But now, she was a little sweeter toward you. You didn't feel like a mere plaything to her anymore. You could actually feel a connection of sorts forming between the two of you. Perhaps you were finally growing a friendly bond with her. Now that you thought about it, she didn't seem to talk with anyone but her arachnid family...and you. Were you her only non-spider friend?

You looked back toward the parlor. There was no evidence to prove otherwise. Now you were more determined than ever. You and Muffet were going to build a strong friendship, just as you had done with the other monsters of the Underground.

Your new web-tangled mission filled you with determination.