Chapter 11: Choice

All was silent as time slowly began to tick again. You felt yourself moving, but it felt like you were moving in slow motion. You begged your body to move faster, but it would not obey.

Cat man smirked, looking up at the monster that had gotten between him and his goal. "You should have stayed on my side..."

Vulkin winced, the pain from the stab wound on his side finally registering.

Cat man withdrew his knife, pushing Vulkin off of him. The little monster fell to the side, unable to move due to both shock and pain.

Your heart plummeted as you stared wide-eyed at the brave little monster. You trembled, praying to whoever would listen that the little body would not turn to dust, despite the ever-looming threat of such an event occurring casting a dark shadow on the battlefield.

Your attention snapped to cat man, who had managed to get back to his feet. He wore a wide grin, one eye wide open while the other was twitching. The facial tick displayed perfectly how much insanity had consumed him.

You took a step back. Even if you could stop him now, could he ever be who he was? If there was any hope for him, it was dangling by a thread thinner than any spider could craft. He was teetering dangerously between himself and the person his obsession had created. This had to end now if there was any hope for this monster.

You begged him to stop, despite your head telling you to save your breath.

He lunged at you, swinging.

You managed to dodge, stumbling back. You had to stay on your feet. If you lost your balance, it was game over.

There was no logic to his movements now. He was lunging and swinging at random, his eyes ablaze yet unfocused. He was slipping even faster than you had thought.

You were so focused on avoiding the blaze, you did not realize how far you were wandering back. You took a split second to try and locate Vulkin.

He was laying a good distance away now, still in one piece but also still how he had been left.

Cat man paused, breathing heavily from his flailing. "You are annoyingly stubborn..." He spat between gasps.

You stared at him. His body was wearing down, but he would not give up. Even if he were to collapse, he would attempt to pursue you.

You could feel exhaustion setting in, too. The heat of Hotland and the tension of this battle were both sucking the energy out of you. Soon this battle of endurance would have even higher stakes. Who would drop first?

Cat man suddenly moved with surprising swiftness. He rose his knife, throwing it at you.

You cried out, leaping to the side and hitting the ground.

The knife wizzed past where you had been standing, lodging itself in the ground.

Cat man stood, still breathing heavily.

You scrambled to your feet, running toward the knife.

Cat man, despite not being fully recovered, stumbled quickly in the same direction.

You barely managed to get to the weapon first, plucking it from the ground.

Cat man stopped just a couple of paces in front of you, staring with the same facial tick that displayed his insanity.

What will you do?

*Threaten (FIGHT)

*Toss (MERCY)

Whatever you choose...Stay determined.

What's this? A choice? ;o;
That's right! This story is about to split into two branching paths!
This is my first branching story, so this is just a test.
So, which will you choose?
Mercy or Fight?

((Sorry this chapter is so short! The choices will be longer!))