September 1st 1976

September the 1st 1976, the first day of my sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little did I know how much my life would change that year, ultimately, for the better.

My eyes quickly darted around the crowded platform, searching for my best friend. My eyes fell upon a sleek auburn curtain of hair fifty yards away. Lily was instantly recognizable because of her hair.

I watched as she tightly hugged her parents, and almost forgot about mine standing behind me as I began to walk in her direction.

"Seren." My mother called.

I glanced back, a large smile on my face. September the 1st was always an exciting day.

My mother and father walked towards me, worried looks evident on their faces. My mother was a witch but my father was a muggle.

"I know I don't know much about the magic world but your mother says you're starting your A-levels this year so do your best, like I know you will, Poppet." My dad said, giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"N.E.W.T.'s dear, not A-levels." She commented, a playful smile on her gentle face.

"Oh, you know what I mean darling." He said, rolling his eyes jokingly.

I watched them both as they happily smiled at each other before turning their attention back to me. They seemed a lot older than they had this time last year, my father's hair was turning lighter at the sides of his head and my mother had small lines forming at the edges of her pale, watery blue eyes.

"Don't worry about me." I said, hugging my father, before turning to hug my mother.

"How can we not?" She asked, holding me tightly.

She let me go and held me at arms length, looking at me intensely for a few moments, as though she were trying to memorise my appearance as she would not see me until Christmas, over three months from now.

"Make sure to use that bloody annoying bird to send us messages won't you?" My dad commented, referring to my grey owl, Arthur, who they had bought for me a week before my first year at Hogwarts.

Just as I began to laugh and defend Arthur (he bit my dad last year, but it wasn't Arthur's fault!) Lily came running over.

"Hey Mr and Mrs Archer!" She said politely.

As far as looks went, Lily and I were polar opposites. Lily had shoulder length, straight auburn hair and glowing green eyes, whereas I took after my mother and therefore had long, wavy white hair and faint blue eyes.

Lily and my parents began to chat when I noticed that the platform was becoming less crowded.

"We'd better go get a compartment." I said to Lily nervously, she nodded and grabbed her luggage from the floor.

"Bye." I said, before being engulfed in a group hug from my parents.

"Take care of yourself now." My dad said, patting me on the shoulder.

As I got to the door of the train, I glanced back to find them still watching me, I waved before getting on the train. I always missed them when I was away at Hogwarts.

"Come on!" Lily said, grabbing my arm and pulling me along the narrow corridor that ran along the length of the train.

The train started to move and we were thrown forwards by the sudden motion. I screeched as I was thrown into Lily's back and she went stumbling forwards.

"Sorry!" I gasped, looking at her sprawled out on the floor, before I burst out laughing. She glared at me a little before picking herself up and dusting off her clothes with her hands.