"Maybe He Will One Day."

The Christmas holidays went by a lot quicker than I had wanted them to.

It had snowed all the way home, so much that the M2 motorway was closed down and it took us hours to get home.

My parents had ran up to me from across the platform as soon as they saw me at King's Cross Station, my mum with tears in her eyes and my dad with a massive smile.

I had written to Sirius every single day. Once, Arthur arrived while I was out sledging with the children from the village, they all found it highly impressive that I had a pet owl that was bringing me my post.

Lily had come to stay for a few days too, we had built an igloo. Lily had complained the entire time that with just a month to her birthday, she wished she could use magic, it had taken us hours to built is as none of us were seventeen yet so it would have been breaking the law.

On Christmas day, my mother cooked a huge turkey dinner, even though there were only three of us so there was way too much food, we ended up eating Turkey on boxing day, and the day after, and even the day after that.

My dad had asked me how my 'A levels' were going as he called them. I kept reminding him that they were N.E.W.T.s but he didn't seem to grasp the concept, or any of the lessons when I talked about them.

The only one he really understood was astronomy.

"I loved astronomy when I was your age!" He exclaimed, but he was unable to make any prophesies looking at the stars so I'm guessing astronomy melt something a little different to muggles.

On New Year's Eve, my mum, dad and I sat by the big glass window upstairs with a glass of port each.

"Don't tell anyone about this." My dad has said with a wink, passing me the glass.

It gave me a nice warming feeling, and at one minute past twelve, when all the fireworks and lanterns went up around us, I felt complete.

At that moment, I wished that Sirius was beside me, I hadn't told my parents about him, but I had told Lily, to which she squealed with delight, almost making my ears bleed.

I wished that he had a phone, so that I could hear his voice at that moment, but I doubted that the Potters would have one seeing as both James's parents were pureblood so muggle inventions probably weren't known to them.

Before I knew it, I was at King's Cross Station again, waving my parents goodbye. It all felt very familiar, especially when Lily came running over to me, as she always did.

When we boarded the train, a familiar mop of black hair came into view, as though sensing my presence, he quickly turned around and gave me an award winning smile, before following James into a carriage.

Lily caught me staring and decided that we would sit in the same carriage as them, no matter how much James irritated her.

I had noticed that James and her had been getting on a lot better lately, arguing less, agreeing more.

When we got into the carriage, my eyes darted immediately to Remus, who was as pale as a piece of paper and almost trembling as he sat by the window.

I watched in horror at the bags under his eyes and how his clothes seemed to almost hang from him.

"What's wrong with Remus?" I asked Sirius as I sat down next to him.

"Nice to see you too." He said sarcastically, flipping through the book on his lap.

"How was your holidays?" I asked quietly as he rested his arm across my shoulders.

The simple action made me freeze. Now that he was my boyfriend I would have to get used to stuff like this, but right now, it made my entire body stand on end.

I caught Peter smiling at me knowingly as he saw the arm around my shoulders. I smiled back and he gave me a nod before turning back to his book.

Why was everyone reading?

The journey to Hogwarts took most of the day, but seemed to fly by, just like the very first time I had caught the Hogwarts express, and where I had met Lily.

We caught the enchanted carriages up to the castle where we were quickly ushered into the hall and informed of any news and new rules (there wasn't many) and then quickly sent up to our dorms.

It was 11pm and most of the other Gryffindors had gone to bed, ready for lessons which were about to start tomorrow. Apart from the two quiet first years sitting in the corner, hunched over one large book between them, there was Lily, James, Sirius, Remus, Peter and I. We were all sat cross legged on the rug watching the game of wizard chess that was taking place between Lily and James.

I knew James would win, and so did Lily, she only had a couple of her pieces left, where as James had only lost a few pawns and a rook.

After five more minutes, James had won. I expected Lily to pout about it, but she congratulated him and he quickly pulled her in for a hug.

The others were arguing over who was going to play next, I was the only one who heard him.

"Go out with me Evans?" He asked as she pulled out of his arms.

"No, Potter." She said, before walking up to our dorms.

It took a couple of minutes for the others to notice her absence, so I said my goodbyes and rushed up to our dorms behind her.

Marlene and Flora were fast asleep in their beds. I quickly cast a silencing charm around us before making my way over to Lily and sitting at the end of her bed.

She was staring at the bed quilts as if they held some sort of unknown secret.

"What is it?" I felt the need to whisper, although I had cast a silencing charm.

She sighed before looking up and meeting my eyes.

"It's James."

"I heard what he asked you."

Her eyes snapped to mine again, almost as though she were surprised.

The soft moonlight filling the room cast a soft glow on her, almost making her seem vulnerable, which was not at all like Lily Evans.

"He needs to learn that my answer isn't going to change until he grows up, stops bullying Severus, stops being so childish." She said, putting her hands in her head.

I knew that her argument with Severus Snape had really taken a toll on her. They had been best friends ever since they were little, and she hates seeing that he had turned to the dark side.

I wrapped an arm around her.

"Maybe he will one day."