"Snuffles It Is Then."

I ran up to the dorm to get my transfiguration book. I couldn't be late.

I was still shaking and was pleasantly surprised that my legs managed to carry me all the way to my gryffindor tower and back.

I gave Lily a look as if to say 'don't ask any questions' and we quietly made our way down to transfiguration and sat down with five minutes to spare.

What if McGonagall took one look at me and knew?

"You need to stop worrying so much." Lily said, almost as though she had read my mind. I sometimes wondered if she was psychic.

Sirius walked in a moment later and I felt myself begin to panic even more.

"Blon- Ser- I mean... I need to talk to you." He stammered, his grey eyes pleading.

I watched him as he sat in front of me and turned his chair around to face me.

"You're going to be fine." He whispered, checking around for any prying ears.

"Just... Please... Don't ask me to do anything like that ever again... It makes me too nervous." I replied.

"Stop biting." Lily said, pointing to my lip.

She hated me biting my nails or my lip when I was nervous but I still did it anyway. It was an automatic reaction.

"There he is." Said Peter, entering the classroom with James and Remus closely behind him.

They sat down and Sirius smiled sadly at me before turning around to talk to them.

<><><>

I was sat out on the grass again, somehow that dog knew. 

I never saw it running around the grounds at day time so I wasn't sure how it knew where to find me, but I often saw it running around outside my window after night fall.

"Hey boy!" I called, as he came bounding across the grass towards me.

I had been slowly getting over my fear of dogs thanks to this one.

I stroked his sleek fur as he lay his head across my lap.

"I was thinking... I should give you a name."

His head lifted from my lap and he looked at me expectantly, almost as if he understood.

"How about Fluffy?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Sparky?"

He shook all over this time.

"Hmmm... Snuffles?"

He rested his head back down on my lap.

"Snuffles it is then." I agreed, running my hands through his fur.

The grounds were quiet as we sat under a bare tree.

"Lily should be out soon." I said, watching the doors of the castle, waiting for my best friend.

Soon enough, a vibrant head of auburn hair emerged from the doors and she slowly made her way around the lake towards me.

"A dog?" She asked in disbelief, lowering herself down on the floor next to me.

"Lily, meet Snuffles. Snuffles, meet Lily." I said, picking up his paw and putting it in her hand for her to shake.

She smiled and shook his paw.

"Nice to meet you." She said, ruffling the fur on top of his head.

Snuffles stood up and made his way towards the forbidden forest.