Chapter nine

chapter nine

Aunt Lori used to always tell me that people's eyes hold everything about them. She told me that maybe, just maybe if I could look deeply enough, I could learn a thing or two about that person. Of course I didn't believe her, in fact, I thought she always had her head whacked. I mean, how could you learn something about someone just by looking their eyes? But I suppose I was too young to understand. I'd always just reply,

"Aunt Lori, that's stupid!"

That's what I thought, at least. But maybe she was right in a way or two.

When I looked into the Masked Mysterioso's eyes I saw gentleness with a side of deviousness. But went I stared deeper, I saw pain. Horrific, blazing, bloodcurdling pain. How much we he hiding? For all I knew, he could have been lying about his past. I trusted him but I still had my doubts.

In the eyes of Kevin the Crazy, I recalled seeing only insanity, and nothing else. Cold, icy eyes burning with madness. I wondered when our paths would cross again. I had a feeling they would, although the last thing I wanted was too meet that crazy murderer again.

These little string of subjects were what things that went through my head as I mopped the ship's deck.

Wait a minute, isn't 'dammit, I'm mad' spelled the same way backwards?

I mopped back and forth and subconsciously squinted my eyes down as I linked the letters together in my mind.

Dammit, I'm mad...

"Vivienne, are you deaf!? Hello!?"

I think so, yes... it indeed is spelled the same way backwards, right...?

"Vivienne!"

How deep is the sea?

Suddenly a hand slapped onto my shoulder and I jumped back and swung my mop left in right in panic.

"Ow! Vivienne! It's just m - ouch! Dammit, I'm mad now!" It was just Rubin.

Realizing who he was, I immediately dropped the mop and began releasing a frenzy of apologies. "I am so sorry! I wasn't paying attention, I am so, so sorry!"

"I think there were beetles in that mop!"

"Why beetles? I mean - I'm sorry!"

"There's a beetle on my forehead, Vivienne!"

* * *

chapter nine, part II

Days without the Masked Mysterioso actually felt a little depressing. Not even just a little - actually quite depressing. To me, he was just about the only spark of entertainment I got on the ship. I began to wonder if I should just sleep for twenty-four hours or so, just to skip time. Then I wondered if that was even possible for me.

I was desperate to use my time as wisely as I could. I thought about mopping some more, but that bored me to death. In fact, any work bored me to death.

I thought about helping prepare meals in the kitchen but I wouldn't be able to cook or bake or anything related to making food even if my life depended on it.

I decided it was best to just relax, of course. Nothing beats relaxation.

I stood, leaning on the railing of the ship. It was defiantly my favorite spot on the ship. It was the spot on the ship that held many memories of mine. It practically became a tradition to stand there.

As I stood there, I began to recall the prior night. I remembered the way his lips closed against mine. I couldn't seem to get him out of my head. He was dreamy as hell and I felt the memory of the kiss tug at my heart strings. My lips melted into a goofy smile and I felt my body fully lean against the railing. His lips tasted like cherries... I typically hated cherries but for some reason, I felt like I wouldn't have minded tasting his cherry-flavored lips every day for another hundred years. Delicious and desirable. I wanted another taste.