Episode 03| Hump & Dump

*This version of "Your Brain on Drugs" ad was apparently made in 1987, but I'm pretty sure there's a 90s version, but I can't find it.*

Words in this chapter:

Going Postal: Going Crazy.

A head banger: Someone who listens to metal music.

VD: a contagious disease that's usually spread during sexual intercourse (an STD).

+

Sophia's P.O.V.

I held my breath as I sunk deeper into the lake, flailing my arms and kicking my feet. I barely hit the surface for a second before sinking back down again. I couldn't keep myself afloat inside the murky waters. Each time I broke the surface, I shouted as loud as possible.

My eyes slammed shut as I bobbed up and down, gasping for air after I screamed for help. Off in the distance, I saw someone dive into the lake. Everything was going in and out of focus. I was unaware of who had decided to come save me. My vision blurred with all of the water that splashed into my eyes.

Two firm hands coiled around my waist and hoisted me to the surface. I was too out of breath to open my eyes and see who was swimming me back toward the house. Two things I could confirm was that it was a guy and that it wasn't Remy. He had a different build than Remy, more lean and muscular. His hard body pressed against mine as he brought me out of the water and on to the dirt floor.

Spitting out water and gasping for air, I collapsed beside the lake with my hair sticking to my face and my clothes clinging to my body. I heard footsteps descend around me, chatting about what they had seen.

"I can't believe it. Reina pushed her," one voice said.

"No way. Reina wouldn't do that. The girl tripped in. It's her fault."

"That was wicked. Did you see how she fell?" another person laughed. "She totally fell in."

"I know what I saw," the first person said.

A handful of arguments and conversations were starting up around me, debating on if I had caused this on myself or if it was the work of Reina Annenberg.

The guy who had saved me began to growl at the crowd. "Show's over. Return to the party."

I couldn't see his face, but from how fast everyone left, I bet he gave them a menacing glare. They were all gone by the time I straightened up and tried to get back on to my feet.

"Let me help you," he offered, holding my hands as I got up off the muddy ground. My ruined outfit and messed-up makeup was the least of my worries now.

"Thank you," I said in a raspy voice. I blinked up at the person who I owed my life to and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a complete stranger. I'd never seen him before, not on or off campus.

"You don't need to thank me." His wet hair looked pitch black from where we were under the trees. He wiped his face with the back of his hand, cleaning off the small droplets that were dripping from his hair. "I saw a bit of the fight before Reina shoved you into the lake. Do you know her well?"

"Not really," I said earnestly, tugging my crop-top down a little. "At least I don't know Reina well enough for her to throw me into a lake. I formally met her for the first time tonight."

"Bad first impression, I guess."

"Very bad," I scoffed.

He flashed a warm smile. "Well, look at it this way. She's not one of those people who pretend to like you at first just so they can screw you over later on in life."