Episode 23| Only Friends Pt. 2

•This chapter is dedicated to AshFyre for making the lovely cover above. Also please don't forget to vote and comment •

Sophia's P.O.V.

Stunned at Bryce's random visit, I scurried to the single wooden chair in our dorm room for stability and safety. Safety from my own urges and the damages only I could cause if I resumed what we had started the other night. This small distance held something promising.

He hadn't opened his mouth since he waltzed in here, far more self-assuring than I would've in his situation. I became the bigger person and started talking. "It's a little inappropriate to show up unannounced. You should've called."

"I thought you said you didn't want me to call."

I snapped my fingers, pointing one of them at him. "That's not exactly what I said. You offered to call, and I said you didn't have to."

"Which implies that you didn't want me to call at all," he countered, gradually making his way around the wooden chair. "It's not like I have your number anyhow."

"Perhaps that's for the best." I supplied, bringing both of my hands to my back and knitting them together.

I recalled the conversation I had with Brooklyn in regards to a possible relationship with Bryce. As much as I wanted to dive into the unknown with Bryce senselessly, I had a feeling that it couldn't be that easy.

Brooklyn could be right about her predictions. Then again, that could be my lack of confidence supporting her words. There was so much about Bryce I didn't know. Usually, before the first kiss, I had a decent enough grasp on the type of guy they were. Knowing me, I was never the best when it came to judging character.

Eying the floor, I cleared my throat. This had to be straightened out eventually.

I inhaled. "I've been thinking a lot for these past couple of hours."

"So have I," Bryce added, continuing his journey from the front of the dorm to where I stood. I skirted away from him, hoping that would be a clear enough sign that I didn't want to be touched. "I'm sorry, but did I do something that I'm unaware of?"

"No, of course not." I clung on the corner of the bunkbed. "Why would you think that?"

Bryce gestured to me. "Because each time I walk towards you, you hurry backwards as if I've got the black plague."

I loosened my grip on the bunkbed and mustered a flat-lipped smile. Going about this in a subtle fashion wasn't working well for me. "I've thought this over at least ten times since I woke up. I just can't form it all in to words. Have you ever felt that way?"

"Occasionally I feel that way, too," he concurred. "You're only tongue-tied. Speak your mind and don't worry about the consequences. Clearly, you want to talk, but there's something - " he took a step toward me, cupping my chin with one of his fingers "-or maybe someone is making it hard for you."

I backpaddled, hitting my rear-end to the bunkbed and brushing off his hand. "I'll manage."

His hand stayed in the air, frozen. He slowly let it drop and slinked it into his pocket.

A new, unreadable look brushed his features like a sheet of armor. "Alright. What have you been thinking about then?"

"I was thinking about last night," I replied. "That kiss was -"