Episode 63| Tensions Are Rising

Sophia's P.O.V

"¿Que?" My mother glowered, hands on hips. She stabbed an intense gander at my father, asking him if he knew about this already. "¿Sabías que, George?"

"No, he didn't know." I answered for him. I unzipped my purse and slipped my ring on to my finger, showing it to them. "I didn't tell many people."

Quivering like a leaf in a wind storm, my mother took my hand rapidly and inspected the ring with judgement sweeping over her.

As though I was nothing but trash, she threw my hand down and hissed in revolution, swearing with her palms in her face. "You." She pointed at me, trembling and on the brink of rage. "You didn't come to me—to us. Why didn't you consider coming to us for permission? I thought I raised you better than that."

"She's an adult." Dad contended. "I would've liked for her to come to us, yes, but that doesn't erase what has been done. She's marrying him."

"You say that as if I'd let that happen." She scoffed.

"I'm marrying him, mom. I don't care if you like it. I'm marrying Bryce." I shouted and we came toe to toe, sizing me up with a hiss under her tone. I had never spoke to her like this. Half of me was stunned at my attitude, but the other half didn't want to stop in the hopes of her accepting Bryce. "He's going to be a part of this family if you like it or not."

"He will never be a part of this familia." She cringed. "Julio is the only person I'd ever expect you to be with. He's perfect for you."

"If you like Julio so much, then maybe you should marry him."

That was it. I had hammered the last nail into the coffin. Mother's unclenched her fist, striking me across the cheek with fury. I cried out from the impact.

"Valerie." Dad jumped ahead of me, stopping her from slapping me for a second time. He whispered a string of words to her, too quiet for me to hear and she exited the den.

"Mom." I called out, covering my hand on the spot she had hit. I wasn't done speaking with her. This discussion was far from reaching a conclusion. "We have to talk. If you walk out that door, you're not going to my wedding."

She fell over, slapping her knee in the midst of laughing at my remark.

"I wasn't going to go to begin with." She snarled, throwing the door open and heading down the stairs.

"She'll come around. Eventually." Dad's rested his hands on my shoulders, drawing me into a hug. "I'll be there at your wedding. And I'll do my best to get her to come along with me, too."

"She's too stubborn." I groaned, heaving a sorrowful sigh.

"You're just as stubborn as her." He released me from the embrace. "I know how to talk to her though. I'll get her to change her mind."

"You will?"

"Of course. My little princesa is getting married." He cupped my face and kissed the top of my head. "I'll do everything in my power to assure that your day isn't ruined."

When I came here this afternoon, I thought my mother would be more on my side than my father. Both of them had a protective personality, but it was always my mom who had my back. The roles were reversed and I couldn't be more pleased at the support my father was giving me.

A wave of shame simmered into my bones. I couldn't believe how dumb I must've seemed to disrespect him this year - not even aware of how much love he had for me. I could see it now, visible only because my distrust in him had faded.