Episode 58| Prepare for the Storm

Thank you slleepp for the lovely fan-art ❤️ btw, if you guys want to send fan-art, banners, or covers, you can email it to sumeyaalington@gmail.com. I'd recommend reading the last bit of the last chapter before you start this chapter.

Please remember to vote & comment.

+

Sophia's P.O.V.

Kelsey was tipsy by 6pm.

Conner hid the other bottles of alcohol she purchased and said he'd keep an eye on her and would also make sure Bryce didn't see the birthday decoration.

I could sense the hostility he had toward me when he said this, making me regret inviting him. But excluding him from Bryce's birthday party was out of the question.

Bryce and Conner may be going some weird patch in their friendship, but they still spoke to each other and didn't let that hinder their work.

Brooklyn arrived at 5pm, so that explained Kelsey's attraction to the bottle.

She had a firm hand on Conner, sitting on the couch and watching a comedy show on TV.

I was proud of Kelsey for not doing anything extreme since Brooklyn showed up. I was praying that there weren't any cat fights tonight.

Nicolas and I were heating up the appetizers in the kitchen while Brooklyn watched from the counters. "So where's the birthday boy?" Brooklyn asked, popping a grape into her mouth. "I didn't see his car when I pulled up."

I flashed a look at my slim black watch. "He should be here in an hour. He said he would call me when he gets here. I don't want him going up to the rooftop."

"We haven't started on the decorations," Nicolas sighed in distress.

"It's fine. We can get to that next." I gazed at Brooklyn. "Do you want to help?"

"Put up decorations?" she chuckled, but it slowly died down when she saw neither Nicolas nor I were finding humor in her childish tone. "You invited me for the party. I didn't know I had to be a part of the set up crew."

I was a millisecond away from snapping at her. What was the point anymore? I tried and I tried, but it was like we were regressing in our friendship the longer we knew each other.

How was that possible?

"You're helping us." Nicolas snatched the pouch of grapes out of her hands and put it on the island. Brooklyn stretched out her hand for them, but he was faster than her. "You've been here since five and all you've done is munch on grapes for the last hour. You're helping or you're going home."

Brooklyn growled. "Fine, fine. I'll help." She wiped her palms on the skirt of her dress.

It was new. I'd never see her wear it before. That, along with her box braids, she came to the party looking her best. Half of me was happy that she made an effort, but the other half was worried that there was an ulterior motive.

"Did you recently get that dress?" I curiously inquired while she got out a tray, took some tongs, and arranged the appetizers on platters.

"Yes, it is new." She replied with a gleam in her eyes. She glanced down at herself, brushing a braid back behind her ear. "Do you like it?"

"You look beautiful," I beamed.

"Nic?" she twirled around in her red heels, turning to her cousin. "What do you think?"

"You know you look good, Brook. You don't need the check of approve from a guy to know that." He snickered, changing the temperature of the oven. "However, I hope you're not trying to impress anyone in particular...maybe someone whose name rhymes with Goner."