Episode 08| Wigging Out

»This chapter is dedicated to georgiaa818 for all the support you give to this novel, along with my other work on Wattpad. Thank you so much«

Sophia's P.O.V.

"I didn't..." I trailed off. "No, I didn't. I just couldn't have..."

I stumbled on my words like this for approximately ten minutes after I walked out of Professor Evans' class. I was both baffled and stunned at what I had signed myself up for.

The details to what exactly happened were still fuzzy to me. In one way, I had just saved my ass from flunking Professor Evans' midterm test. In the other, I may have single handedly ruined any chances of surviving the semester by socializing with Kelsey Jacobson and Bryce Matthews.

This time next year, I'd be lucky if I didn't turn up in a dumpster near the shoreline, wrapped in a bloodstained carpet and with my teeth ripped out.

You're being a drama queen, Sophia. It's only one study session.

That may be true, but I didn't want to get too comfortable with them. Just in that small interaction, being around those two made the hair on the back of my neck rise. The way Bryce scanned over my outfit, hungrily inspecting each curve of my body and eyeing my long legs with desire, made me hold my breath in wonder. Wonder if he wanted something more than to help me in Anthro. My mind tinkered on the idea that perhaps getting me killed wasn't his first thought at all...

I stopped myself, dead in my tracks. Who was I kidding? Bryce Matthews wasn't looking at me with lust oozing out of him. I probably had something in my teeth or in my hair. Yeah, that had to be it. There was no way he would look at me with desire.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I changed my route and headed for the coffee shop they had on campus for the caffeine-deprived students. I desperately longed for a cup of coffee before that thought of Bryce wanting me manifested into something else.

The mere idea of Bryce finding me attractive was downright laughable. He could get anyone he set his eyes on, single and non-single women alike. I was damn certain that he had a few married women wrapped around his arms in the past, too.

He might not be into me, but ever since our first conversation, I had started to ask more about him. Nicolas had fed me information on him, and I had to admit, I was surprised. He said Bryce was from New York, which explained the slight accent he had when he spoke.

Where he was exactly from was a bit of a mystery though. Nicolas recalled a conversation he had with him freshman year in regards to his home back in New York, and how he didn't talk about his dad in a positive way.

I couldn't really blame him on that one. Neither could I – at least nothing recent.

When I turned eighteen, I disassociated myself from everything related to my father, including my last name. Álvarez was my mother's last name, and at first she wasn't okay with the change, but it was my choice in the end. The point behind the change was that I didn't see what my father had given our family besides hardships.

It was my mom who held us together and made sure that we had clothes for school and food in the kitchen after he left. Long before Rio's accident, there was still a lot my mom did that my dad didn't. I couldn't necessarily hate him for that though. I didn't hate him at all, and I couldn't find myself disliking him anytime soon for always being busy with his job.

Walking around the side of the Daily Brew, I went over to the line that poked out the door. They had three cash registers open today, so the line moved a lot faster than expected. Once it was my turn to place in an order, I got myself a large latte and took the number they handed me. After getting my drink, I searched around the coffee shop to see if I knew anyone, and I saw Lora Fuentes reading near the bay window.