Chapter 14 - A Receding Kiss

Song for this Chapter: Unwell by Matchbox 20 

 ~ Unedited! ~

~ * ~ * ~ ♡ ~ * ~ * ~

~ Josh's Point of View ~

"I can't believe you've finished the book over the weekend." Rickie rolled her eyes. "How could you even finish To Kill a Mockingbird in two days? I haven't even started yet."

"I told you, I always get it my way," I looked out the road before sneaking a glance at her, "When I want something done, I'd make sure that it would be, no matter what."

"Honestly Josh, I never thought you being the reader-type of guy," she commented with a blunt tone.

"Really, I'm not," I laughed sarcastically at her. Me? A reader? Please. I finished the book while I was in San Diego at my grandmother's wake and burial. I had nothing to do, and I didn't really liked to socialize with my far-off relatives and cousins. It wasn't like I was trying to be anti-social. It's just plain awkward to talk to them. "I thought a lot about it. I realized last weekend that I need to just get over it and read our assigned book. I really just want it done."

We were on our way home from the downtown diner. Rickie eventually got hungry back at the cliffs. I got to know her a lot better. Our time together seemed to make her happy at some point. I don't know why she's worked up for being strangers and all when we both know that we're not some ordinary acquaintances or something.

I got to know how much she loves the autumn, how she was so thankful that I brought her up here, how she shivered terribly whenever the chilly air nipped her skin, how she loved the smell of dry leaves in the air. She loves hot chocolate and exactly three white marshmallows on top. When she was four, had a pet goldfish that died three days later, and this broke her heart up until now. She hates spiders and the smell of mothballs but she loves sweaters and fluffy winter mittens. She still has a soft spot for Disney movies, and cries everytime the endings finish. She watches Gossip Girl but instead of swooning over the characters, she gets annoyed and picks on them. She loves the smell of new books, but adores them more when the pages turn old and yellowish. She likes making snow angels and catching snowflakes in her tongue. All of these things about herthe little things draws me more to her.

And honestly, I have no idea why. But the more I know, the more I become interested in her.

"But come to think of it," Rickie suddenly broke my train of thought, "I thought you were never serious about that stupid motto of yours in the first place," she giggled candidly.

"I'm impressed that you still remember," I gave her another sideway glance.

"How could I forget something so pathetic?" she laughed even more, clutching her stomach. "I mean I never heard something so stupid. Most mottos that I know is like, 'Time is gold' or 'Patience is a virtue' kind of thing. But you... you're something else."

I wiggled my eyes suggestively at her, back to my old playful self, "Am I, now?"

She rolled her eyes in return.

When I parked up the curb, the sun was already deep under the skyline, scattering gold and orange streaks around the vibrant indigo sky. I didn't even notice that we already spent the whole day. We both got out of the car at the same time. I walked to her side and leaned on the car hood. She was fiddling her fingers, looking at them like they are the most important thing in the world right now. She looked uneasy, like she wanted to say something but she just doesn't know the right words.

I cleared my throat and she looked up at me. But when I gave her one of my famous smirks, she blushed and looked away.

Since the silence was getting in my nerves, I initiated the conversation, "Um Rickie, I guess I'll see you later?"