Chapter 15 - A Revealing Kiss

Song in the sidebar:  Into Your Arms (Acoustic) by The Maine 

Dedicated to: Mara Laya ~ (Mainly because this is more of a Kyle chapter than a Josh chapter, and I promised her to take care of Kyle. Go team Kyle lol :3 ) 

~ Unedited! ~

~ * ~ * ~ ♡ ~ * ~ * ~

~ Rickie's Point of View ~

"Josh," I called out his name for the third time. He didn't hear me as if I wasn't even right in front of him. "What the hell is with you?"

He stared off the window, unfazed. It was now Friday, the day I've been fearing the most. I'm pretty much convinced that he wasn't the one who gave me that note card. I've bugged him about it thrice in English class yesterday, and he just got annoyed that he stormed off without Ms. Radford's permission. I thought that he'd never come back, but he did  eventually, as if I didn't do anything at all.

We were now at the library, starting on our book report. As of now, we're halfway through the first draft. But I needed him to participate, which he finds hard to do apparently. I didn't skip lunch just for him to ditch me. Again. Because frankly, even if he's here right in front of me, I feel like having him miles away instead. Which is worse than the make-out-in-the-freaking-janitor's-closet kind of ditch weeks ago.

Because at least back then, I knew where his feelings were. Or at least, I had a clue.

But now, I just can't seem to reach out to him. And I'm really getting impatient.

More than that, I was beginning to be concerned. There's really, really something wrong with him.

And  the worst part is, he won't tell me.

"Josh," I tried again and reached out for his hand across the table. But he tucked them both on his lap, avoiding my eyes.

I quickly seated beside him, looking at his face which won't turn to me despite the effort. I reached out for both of his hands and wrapped them around mine.

He then looked at me. His eyes were beady and tearful, but he blinked it away and shaked his head. And at the next second, he looked at me again with a playful smirk. It's like his mood before was just my make-believe.

But I'm sure this time. I saw his deep brown eyes fogging up in tears.

"Why are you pushing me away?" I suddenly blurted out silently. "Why are you trying so hard to keep it from me, while I'm just here witnessing how pained you are? Why are you acting like you're okay when you're really not?"

"That's a lot of questions, Baby Doll," he closed his eyes and shook his head, putting his hands behind his head. "I don't think we're in an appropriate place for twenty questions right now."

"Keep your voice down, Mr. Lennox," Ms. Lawson, the head librarian, suddenly snapped at us.

"Sorry, Ms. Lawson," I gave her a forced smile before she went off.

"I told you, Baby Doll," he grinned mockingly, "Twenty questions's a no-no in the library. Why won't we just figure out what Boo Radley's importance is, so we can just finish this shit up?"

"No," I hissed. "We're not moving on until you tell me."

"Tell you what?" he tried to be incredulous, but he looked away, not meeting my eyes.

"You know what I'm talking about. Just tell me--"

"Why are you pushing it?" he frowned, annoyed. He looked at the window back again, but at least this time he's blinking.