twenty four ; big girls cry

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!" a voice called loudly as I left the car, hand in hand with Jasper. I turned to see Mike sprinting towards me. 

The blond tackled me in a hug and twirled me around as I laughed.

"Thanks Mike," I smiled as he set me down, pressed against him for a moment more. 

"So we rented a place and Tyler is picking you up at four, so be ready, we're partying late tonight!" he laughed. 

"But--" I started, looking at Jasper. Alice was throwing a party at the Cullen's house and it was supposed to be my first time over.

"Don't worry, we've talked to Charlie, he's cool with that."

"Yeah, but--"

"We've also invited everyone from the rez. That Jacob guy, and this Paul dude-" I felt my eyes widen, "and Embry and Jared and Quil and the weird dude, Sam. They're all invited, man."

"No, but--"

"You can come too, Jasper, of course," Mike smiled innocently.

"I won't be able to attend," Jasper said calmly. "Alice organized something at our place for Bella and Ashley. But," Jasper looked at me for a moment. "Ashley would much rather party big, so... Go with them tonight," he prompted, "we'll celebrate quietly another time."

"Sure." I said, unable to hide my excitement now that I got an OK to have a party with my friends. I smiled at Jasper, kissing his cheek, before grabbing Mike's hand and asking him more about what I need to wear.

"Oh, and Ashley?" Jasper suddenly called, and I turned to him.

"Have a great time tonight."

"Thanks, you too," I smiled happily, before Tyler called us over, throwing me over his shoulder and cheering a stupid birthday song he's written by himself.

All good things come to an end.

"WHAT THE BLOODY FUCK DO YOU MEAN--" I exploded, when Bella shushed me. Our "long night" ended early when Jessica became completely wasted and started throwing up on everything, so at only forty five minutes past midnight, I was back home. 

"Sorry," I took a deep breath, "but what the bloody fuck do you mean when you say Jasper lost control?!"

"I cut my finger," she started explaining. "And, then everything was a blur. He growled and fully intended on drinking my blood, when Edward stopped him and threw me over the table, and then everything was bloody and they all had to leave while Carlisle took care of me."

I looked at her, mouth agape. I felt guilt, for some reason, burning in the pit of my stomach.

"And... you? You're okay?" I couldn't help but wonder as I stood up from my bed and walked over to her. She revealed a bandage that was over her arm, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You could've died tonight."

"I haven't."

"But you could've."

"But I haven't."

"Just... shut up." I waved her off. She could've died tonight, and if I were there, I could've died too. I felt just what I felt whenever I thought of Paul, fear mixed with affection and sadness.

It was the world we entered, world that we had to love the danger, when we shouldn't.

"Jasper?"

"Alice said he feels awful," Bella said. "Maybe... Maybe you should go see him."

I looked at her like she was insane. I hadn't had the guts to do so, even if he asked me too. And like I knew him, he'd want to be as far away as possible from humans at the moment, no matter how much my blood interested him less.