Dinner and a Breakdown

3

The week passed in a similar fashion. I went to work. I ran around the office delivering things, giving opinions, and getting coffee. When I finished my article I turned it in a day before its due date. Things went back to normal speed as I tried my best to forget about Roman and the way he made me feel. From what I could tell he had forgotten about me: neither Avery nor Nat mentioned any interest of his in me. I was relieved. For at least a little bit. Until words like you are rather intoxicating Miss Scarlett Summer replayed through my mind. How could he say such things? He barely knew me and we were only around each other for a night. He was what you would call bad news.

On a Friday night, Avery called me interrupting me from my pathetic self-wallowing.

"Scarlett, hey, how are you doing?" She began.

"Oh you know the same old. What's up sis?"

"Well, Nat and I want you to come over tomorrow for dinner."

"Yeah, that sounds fine with me. Normal time? Do you want any help cooking?"

"Um, yeah normal time, and no let me do it this time gosh."

"Sorry, you just know how I am."

"Yeah, yeah, always trying to help. Anyway, I want to tell you that Roman will be coming, too. I know he would love to see you."

I froze in the midst of getting a glass of water.

"Scarlett? Are you okay? Is that a problem? He doesn't have to come I can tell him not to. Did it not go well with him?"

I snapped out of it before continuing. "No, no, no don't worry about me. Nothing happened between us anyway, Avery. That's fine."

"Oh okay. Are you sure sweetie?"

"No, yeah of course! Everything is fine." But I was not sure, not in the slightest. "I'll see you tomorrow okay? Love you sis."

"Love you too, Scarlett."

As soon as I hung up the phone, stress began to build up in my chest uncomfortably. I was going to see him again, tomorrow. I was not even remotely prepared. Instead I stood up and made my way to the closet. If I was going to stress it might as well be over my outfit. I shuffled through it fussily. If Avery was there, she would have swept in, taken a few minutes to look through and make some decisions, and then she would sweep back out with a couple of options for me to easily choose between. For now, I was on my own. When I finally decided it was on a simple lavender button up a simple black A-line skirt and white nylons paired with simple black heels. When I finished I collapsed onto the bed in my pajamas my eyes straying to the drawer that held my beloved blades. It felt as if I had not seen them in so long, or felt them. No. Not tonight, I thought.

I went to work the next day, like all other days and focused on anything but the dinner that night. I was glad to do any and all favors for everyone in the office. Their smiling and thankful faces as I made my rounds were reassuring. There were choruses of "Thank you Scarlett" and "You are a lifesaver Scarlett" from my co-workers putting a slight smile on my face. I was so wrapped up in editing someone's article when I noticed everyone packing up and going home. The author ambled over to my desk with a smile.

I looked up apologetically, "I'm sorry Jameson, I thought I had more time."

"No, Scarlett thank you for even taking the time."

"Would it be okay if I just finished and when I'm done I'll just put it on your desk?"

His face lit up, "Oh Scarlett that would be just wonderful thank you, see you on Monday!" He waved as he exited with everyone else.