Is This Warmth?

9

I woke up the following morning with warmth surrounding me. For the first time, it was not so bad to wake up with no stark cold greeting me. Our legs were still in a tangle, but he was on his back now and my head on his chest. One of his arms was curled around me and the other was splayed against the base of his stomach.

I lifted my head to look at his resting face. So soft and vulnerable looking, nothing like the hard, demanding, and enigmatic man he was when conscious. I rested my cheek back onto his warm skin and let my finger trace patterns on his front, a flower here, a heart there, a noose.

When he stirred he made a contented noise that rumbled my body. I looked up at him and set my chin near where my cheek had been.

"Good morning Scarlett Summer." His voice grumbled with lingering tiredness.

I smiled a little, "Good morning Roman."

"This is a preferable way of waking up." He grinned.

I blushed, unsure of how to respond. I placed my cheek down once more and let my eyes close again, reveling in the warmness.

"What are your plans today?" He asked.

"I thought that I should see Avery and spend some time with Jamie."

"May I join you?"

"As great as that sounds, I should probably go alone."

"I understand." He assured. "Nat," I tensed, "he still means a lot to you. After everything that happened."

I was silent for a long time, trying to search for the right response, "He was the only one I ever wanted. The only one I had ever cared for. The only one that I left my comfort zone for and like everyone else he chose my sister." I explained. "I don't blame him of course, I would too. It just sucks to never have really faced it; it is always sugar-coated with them."

"I do," he said, "blame him I mean. He knew how you felt, he always has, he's just never manned up enough to do anything about it."

I sighed. I did not want to hear any of this. I did not want to talk about them. Especially with him. "Can we not talk about this Roman? I'm sorry."

"Of course, I am being incredibly insensitive."

I tried shrugging it off, but eventually I just ended up pressing my face into his skin and burrowing. He stroked my hair with his capable fingers. When I could no longer breathe against his skin I turned my cheek once again. This time I kissed his palm and thanked him.

"Can I make you breakfast?" He asked after a while.

"Good luck with water, a tomato, and milk."

He sighed, but did not reprimand me, "Touche. How about breakfast down the street?"

I really did not want to, but I figured that it would cause more trouble than it was worth.

"Fine." I said a bit more shortly than I had intended.

I sat up then avoiding his gaze and putting my back to him. I felt him shift and lean against the headboard. Not long after his fingertips reached out and traced the outline of my spine through my dress. He shifted once more as he placed his large hand against the side of my torso. His other hand pushed my hair to one side and then his lips pressed into the crook of my neck. They made their way up behind my ear as his hand went across my stomach and his arm wrapped around me.

"White. So pure. So fitting for you." He bunched my dress into his fist at my hip. I made an effort at concealing my uneven breathing.

"Do I have time to shower?" I asked trying to keep a semblance of the previously normal exchange we were having.