Styles Not Prince

Here is some How It's Going To Be trivia you didn't ask for, but will receive nonetheless.

First of all, writing this story has been one of the biggest, most rewarding projects I have ever taken on. I could never even begin to describe how meaningful it is to me to have readers who are supportive of my work. To each of you, thank you.

I get a lot of questions about my writing technique and questions from readers who want to know just a *little* more about the story so I wanted to leave some answers for you here.

1. I wrote and edited the entire story before publishing.

I started writing HIGTB in September of 2014. It took me exactly 11 months to write the entire story. I published the first chapter in August of 2015. I know what you're thinking...WHY didn't I just post the entire thing if I had it written completely?? I wanted to edit it a little more and gauge the reaction of readers before putting all of my work out there. (I mean, what if it was a total flop?!) Plus it's fun to keep my readers on their toes.

2. I actually wrote Zayn out of the story.

Because I started writing in September of 2014, Zayn was still in One Direction at that time. I was in the middle of writing the Milan chapters when Zayn announced he was leaving the band. So I had to go back and write him out of the story as a band member. I literally searched his name in the Word document containing my story and wrote him out. I had to rewrite 5 scenes completely to clear his character out.

3. Because the story was written and finished in August of 2015, you don't hear of any of One Direction's songs from their most recent album.

4. I didn't name Kate until the day of publishing.

I went back and forth with name choices for literally a year. I couldn't decide the name I wanted. Not to minimize anyone's creativity, but so many fics have the same name for their main character and I wanted something classic and memorable.

5. My favorite chapters to write are the China chapters.

I love the writing in the chapters where Kate visits Harry in Hong Kong. For whatever reason, writing about Harry's illness mixed with the intensity of the emotions both characters were feeling was really moving for me.

But I also love the chapter where Kate finds the writings from Harry in the mail. Those were fun pieces to write.

6. The most difficult part for me to write was the chapter where Kate and Harry are separated at Christmas.

It's not that I had a particularly hard time connecting with this part of the story, but I had the worst writer's block for about 3 weeks!

7. Places in the story are real.

When I mention a cafe by name, it's real. Maybe if you're from the area, you'd know that already. Sites described are also real. 

8. When I describe Kate or Harry's outfit, it's based off something real.

I spent hours researching designer clothing to properly depict what Harry Styles and his girlfriend could potentially be wearing. For instance, the dress Kate wears to the wedding reenactment is a dress by Alexander McQueen in real life. And the shirt Harry's wearing with the arrows at Zayn's launch party is...you guessed it! Saint Laurent--so is Kate's leather jacket she wears that night. The dress Kate wears to the New Year concert is Givenchy.

9. So Kate and Harry never...you know...go *ahem* further?

Couldn't bring myself to write that. Sorry.

10. My main reason for writing this story is to provide the general public with a fanfic that doesn't use the word "orbs" for eyes.

I'm kidding, but really....

11. There is a secret salute to Larry in one of the chapters.

I'm no Larry shipper, but I couldn't resist a little Larry moment for my readers who may be. Did you find it?

12. In Word, HIGTB is 638 pages.  I'M SORRY!

ALSO: I realize that many of you may have questions that were not answered above. Feel free to leave more questions HERE and I will add to this update with answers.

____________

The most rewarding part of writing and publishing this story has been knowing that certain parts were compelling to my readers. Many of you have written to me or commented on the chapters to tell me how my writing has made you feel. To know that a story I created could make someone feel something is powerful. Thank you for that.

To everyone who ever recommended this story to a friend: THANK YOU.

To everyone who ever sent me a nice message: THANK YOU

To everyone who ever commented on a chapter: THANK YOU

To everyone who ever voted: THANK YOU

To everyone who ever read even a single word of my writing: THANK YOU

____________

Now, please wipe those tears from your eyes!

There will be an epilogue coming soon.

xx, SNP