A Precious Thing

The light from my torch cuts through the dark, damp air of the dungeon. My shoes on the stone floor are the only thing I can hear other than water dripping. As I approach the cell I start to hear heavy breathing.  

"You've seen better days, my lord."

"Another visit? lt seems you're my last friend." Ned Stark spoke.

"No, no, many still love you." I reply, "Sansa came to court this morning to plead for your life."

"On her knees begging for me. Hm! Did you laugh with the others?"

"You do me wrong, my lord. Your blood is the last thing l want."

"l don't know what you want. l've given up trying to guess." He remarked.

"When l was still a child my father used to bring me to court and I would sit on his lap watching, listening to everything they would talk about. They taught me that each man has a role to play. The same is true at court. Like Vrays he is the master of whisperers. But my role is to be sly, obsequious and without scruples. l'm a good actor, my lord." I explain.

"Huh. Can you free me from this pit?" he questions.

"l probably could. But will l?"

"No." Ned sort of chuckles. 

"As l said, l'm no hero."

"What do you want? Tell me. No riddles, no stories Tell me, what do you want?"

"What is mine by right." I state. "Did you know that your son is marching south with an army of northmen? Loyal man. Fighting for his father's freedom."

"Robb? He's just a boy."

"Boys have been conquerors before. But the man giving Cersei sleepless nights is the king's the late king's brother. Lord Stannis thinks he has the best claim to the throne. He is a proven battle commander and he is utterly without mercy."

"You are Robert's true heir. The throne is yours by rights."

"Sansa pleaded so sweetly for your life. lt would be a shame to throw it away...Cersei is no fool. She knows a tame wolf is more use to her than a dead one."

"You want me to serve the woman who murdered my king, who butchered my men, who crippled my son?"

"l want you to serve the realm! If i can't be queen, I can't be queen, but it's not use you dying for it. Tell the queen you will confess your vile treason, tell your son to lay down his sword and proclaim Joffrey as the true heir. Cersei knows you as a man of honor." I snap. "lf you give her the peace she needs, and promise to carry her secret to your grave, l believe she will allow you to take the black and live out your days on the Wall with your brother and Jon."

"You think my life is some precious thing to me? That l would trade my honor for a few more years of Of what? You grew up with liars. You learned their craft and you learnt it well. But l grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago." He shares.

"Pity. Such a pity." I sigh, "What of your daughter's life, my lord? ls that a precious thing to you? Mine was to my father will hers be to you."