Charitable Work

Margaery has been in Kings Landing for about two weeks now and her and  I have gotten very close, I am actually glad she's marrying Joffrey so I will have a friend here in Kings Landing. We are in the streets today making an appearance for the people. Me and Margaery ride in the same litter she tells me stories about men who were so in love with her they would send her jewels, love letters and one even told her he would die for her.

"It doesn't surprise me you had men constantly falling for you I mean youre beautiful and smart and funny and kind." I giggle.

"It was definitely a hassle sometimes but if im being honest I love the attention. It makes me feel powerful. Like I could snap my fingers and POOF they'll do anything for me." She snaps her fingers and laughs. "Have you been in love?"

"I have yes." I answer her.

"Who is he!" She grabs me. "Would I know him?"

"No I don't think you know him."

"Well who is it?"

"His name is..." I start but I am cut off by Margaery yelling.

"STOP! Stop please I would like to get out." They put us down and she proceeds to open the door and step out on the street.

"My lady." I call, "We should have guards, Margaery."

"Why?" She questions, "Pardon me." She makes her way through some people.

"Margaery wait!" I call trying to follow her.

"Come on," she grabs my hand and starts to lead me into an orphanage. There is mud everywhere and I'm trying my best to hold up my dress but there is a huge puddle right in front of the door.

"I'm going to ruin my dress." I say

"You have others."

As we walk in I see lots of children. Covered in dirt their clothes either too big or too small of full of holes. I always knew about children like this but it's hard to see it in person knowing where I come from and how much I have.  I feel a small tug on my dress and I look down to see a little girl playing with the beads that are sewn onto it.

"Do you like it?" I ask her.

She just nods her head and smiles.

"Here," I take off the small wrap I was wearing and wrap it around her. "Now you look just like a princess!"

She giggles and spins around wrapping playing with the fabric.

Margaery sits down in front of the children with a small boy on her lap.

"What happened to your father?" she asks him.

"He was a soldier. He went to fight on the walls when the ships came into Blackwater Bay." He answers her quietly, "He never came back."

"And your mother?"

"She died when she had me."

"Bad men wanted to come into this city and do terrible things, but your father stopped them." She hands him a wooden knight sitting on a horse, "Whenever you look at this knight, I want you to remember your father."

"He wasn't a knight. He was just a soldier."

"And what do knights swear to do? Protect the weak and uphold the good. Your father did that. Be proud of him."

"Was your father a soldier, too?" I ask the little girl in my arms. She nods her head.

"You should be proud, too." I tell her.

"Under King Joffrey's leadership, your fathers saved the city. They saved us all. From now on, we're going to take care of you." Margaery tells all the children, "All of you."

"Come to me for whatever you need to feed them, clothe them, or house them." She tells one of the women taking care of the children, "Directly to me."

Margaery Tyrell might just be exactly what this city needs

*****************************************************************************************

We are all sat at dinner waiting for Joffrey to arrive so we may start eating. He enters and Margaery and Loras both stand. 

"Your Grace."

"Your Grace."

"Please, sit." He tells them, "Sit."

"I do apologize, my lady." He looks at Margaery from the table, "Small council meetings. At what point does it become treason to waste the king's time?"

Margaery laughs the fakest laugh I have ever heard.

"Many people would be dead if it was don't you think." I ask him raising my eyebrows.

He glares at me and ignores what I said, "That's a lovely gown, my lady."

"Yes, it suits you perfectly." My mother remarks, "I imagine you might be rather cold."

"The climate is a bit more forgiving back in Highgarden, Your Grace." Margaery explains why her gown is so low cut.

"Shall I have them bring you a shawl, my lady?" Joffrey asks.

"I am touched by your concern, Your Grace. Luckily for us Tyrells, our blood runs quite warm."

"Does it, Loras?" I question

"Yes." He quickly answers.

"Loras, isn't the queen's gown magnificent? The fabric, the embroidery, the metalwork. I've never seen anything like it." Margaery asks him.

"You might find a bit of armor quite useful once you become queen. Perhaps before. Joffrey tells me you stopped your carriage at Flea Bottom on your way back from the sept this morning."

"Yes." She smiles. "I paid a visit to an orphanage the High Septon told me about."

"Margaery does a great deal of work with the poor back in Highgarden." Loras tells us.

"The lowest among us are no different from the highest if you give them a chance and approach them with an open heart." Margaery says.

"An open heart is what you'll get in Flea Bottom if you're not careful, my dear. Not long ago, we were attacked by a mob there. We had a full complement of guards that didn't stop them. The king barely escaped with his life."

"My mother's always had a penchant for drama." Joffrey explains, "Facts become less and less important to her as she grows older. Our lives were never truly in danger."

"You're right, of course. But you are your father's son. We can't all have a king's bravery."

Everyone just sits at the table silent trying to eat their food as quite as possible. This is the most uncomfortable dinner I have ever had. The tension in the air is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

"I'm glad House Tyrell has been able to help in this regard. They tell me 100 wagons arrive daily now from the Reach." I say trying to break the silence, "Wheat, barley, apples."

"We've had a blessed harvest." Margaery smiles, "And, of course, it's our duty to assist the capital in time of need."

"Well, as Ser Loras said, Lady Margaery has done this sort of charitable work before. I'm sure she knows what she's doing." My mother makes a sly remark.

"I'm sure she does." I say as I place a spoonful of soup in my mouth.