Chapter 3:Forsaken

Katherine just stood still for a few moments.  She studied him closely,she had missed him so. He was different.  In the months they had been separated he had grown a few inches at least and filled out.  His face had developed into a young mans face and was no longer boyish. It was a sweet face, still filled with optimism and hope.  His lightly tanned skin from hours outdoors, glowed. Horseriding had hardened his muscles and broadened his shoulders. There was also the beginnings of a short beard which made her smile. He looked like he had grown in confidence but there was also something new. He seemed to be more authoritative, he looked slightly dominating as if he expected her to submit to him. She liked it not.

However, she wavered. In some ways, she wanted to run to him, right there and then. She wanted to have him stroke her hair and tell her everything is going to be fine. She could pretend that Amy had an accident,marry Henry and live out her life. It took all her willpower not to run into his arms. She remembered Amy and where reliance on her husband had got her. She would not go the same way.

A look of relief crossed Henry's face when he saw her. He smiled and started forward.

"Kate, I've been so worried."

She took a deliberate step back. This stopped him in his tracks.  

"Kate, talk to me, are you well?" he asked urgently.

"No, I am not," she stated shortly. "Amy is dead."

He pulled his hands through his golden hair.  "I know, I'm so sorry, I came as soon as I could. I have been riding all night."

Indeed, on second glance she could see he looked exhausted.  He crossed over and sat to the side of the bed. His riding breeches were splattered with mud and he looked parched.  She could also see the fine detailing on his clothes. There was no doubt his star had risen with Roberts, she thought bitterly. Reluctantly, she went over to the side and got him a glass of ale that had been there since the day before.  She just didn't want to remember what she had felt for him, she couldn't let anything distract from her mission to destroy Robert Dudley. She owed Amy that.

 He took it gratefully and gulped it down. She sat on a trunk, opposite him.

"Bowes came to court, I have never seen Master Dudley so...shaken."

"Shaken...it must have been his guilt," she scoffed angrily.

"His guilt?" The face she loved so well was becoming incredulous.

"Yes, his guilt," she cried. "Her neck was broken, from a small staircase, there isn't enough steps there to have killed her."

Henry took a moment to deal with this accusation.  "There must be some explanation, there was talk at court she was ill."

"She was not ill and I did not see him running to her, if he heard this untruth," Katherine said firmly, putting a thought to the back of her mind.  "So that will be his defence, that she was already dying, very convenient. A good defence for murder, for he killed her, maybe not with his bare hands but with an order. He has blood on his hands." 

"No, no, Kate, you are wrong," he said, looking appalled. "Truly, I've never seen a man as heartbroken as Robert Dudley was, when Bowes told him. He is a grieving husband."

"Grieving husband? He hasn't seen her in over a year and has been more bothered with the Queen to care for his wife."

"Yes, but the Queen she is... demanding. She would not let him out of her sight."

"Would not let him go to his own wife? No, Henry, Robert did not want to come, he is hoping for higher things."

"Higher things?" he questioned.