Chapter 12: Reunited

Stanfield Hall

1550 March

Robert arrives in the courtyard just as two swans fly over Stanfield.  I think to myself it is a good omen as swans are together until death.  He dismounts with such grace, leaping down as if a bird swooping down from flight. His superb horsemanship is plain to see.  My family all wait to greet him on this crisp spring day, even my brothers have been summoned.  There is a small cortege gathered to serve him, already they seem loyal to their young master. I will serve him too and be the best wife I can be.  He has perfect courtly manners and I see even mother start to thaw as he kisses her hand. I am so nervous, aware he has not seen me since August and has made this decision to marry me. I hope I will not disappoint and have dressed with care. Turning, he bows to me and it is all I can do to restrain myself from throwing myself into his arms but I am under mother's stern eye. He looks at me and smiles beautifully, any doubts of his fidelity fade like the thawing of the morning frost. 

As winter slides into spring it is as if Robert has brought the sun with him to Stanfield, after months of hardship and death.  My worries and cares seem to have been lifted by his presence.  All the spilt blood and the bitterness that has surrounded Kett's rebellion is gone.  Even my father looks more sprightly as he takes Robert under his wing.  Frances reluctantly is charmed by him too as he inquires after William Flowerdew's health.  I can see court life has taught him to be the perfect courtier.  He expresses delight that my father will show him around the estate today, although my brothers seem rather sullen at my fathers obvious deference to him. They are older but it is plain they will never possess the gifts Robert has.

So father spirits him away.  I look out from the different rooms of Stanfield, following their progress around the grounds outside. I am so proud, I hope dearly that Robert loves it as I do.  Frances laughs at me and calls me Robert's puppy but I do not scold her, I am too happy.  I still have not told Frances that I knew of her complicity with mother. But suffice it to say that my confidences in her have stopped. My fury though seems pointless now he is here, what does it matter?

I confess, I wish in part to have never heard the conversation my parents had.  Now I find it hard to see my father in the same good light I have always cast him in.  He has noticed I am colder towards him but does not say a word to me. I am still angry that he could betray mother with one of her own household. Why mother lets Grace stay is beyond me, surely she has the power to demand of father her dismissal? Mother has tried to have a few heartfelt discussions with me, touching on infidelity but I have not listened.  Just because father has betrayed her does not mean Robert will do the same. We are different, we will not marry for the ties of estates and dynasties.  We will marry for love. We will never have the same problems she and father have.  She has tried to tell me how hard marriage can be but I have scoffed at this too, for how hard can it be?  I love him,he loves me, it is simple.

When Robert is finished with father we all enjoy a sumptuous feast in the Great Hall.I am wearing my beautiful new green velvet dress that sets off my honey hair perfectly.  I am very proud of my family and do not wonder that we are as good as the courtly company he is used to. Mother has brought out all our best silver and there are all manners of peacocks, birds and hams on offer.  I pick at my food, not wishing to appear greedy in front of my beloved suitor.  Frances whispers to me that she knows I am longing to pile my plate high but I kick her under the table.  I am driven mad with wanting to be nearer to him but custom dictates we must keep our distance. He is very attentive to me though and ensures I am included in any conversation. It is strange, I had forgotten how much I love even the sound of his voice. I have missed him so. Mother tells him about my knowledge of herbal plants and medicine and he seems very impressed. Finally, father asks Robert if he would like to read to me by the fire.  We jump up like startled pheasants and before any more is said we are sat together, in full view of all as is proper.