Chapter 14: Wedding Eve at Sheen Palace

3rd June 1550

Sheen Palace, Richmond

Tonight is my last night as an unmarried maid. Tomorrow I will be Lady Amy Dudley and it is like a fairytale come true, of which I am hope I am deserving.  Here in Sheen palace it is wondrous to think that it has all come to pass. I will marry Robert.

We came three days ago, floating up the river on a sumptuous barge John Dudley had ordered for us. My family and I found it hard not to be overawed by our first sight of Sheen Palace. Towering above all other dwellings it climbs up to the sky, like a white rose amongst daisies.  It is sited aside the Thames that winds from Richmond, through London then out to sea.  We arrived at noon and with the high sun beating down there was a glare to the building which almost made it hard to gaze upon.  Henry VII, God rest him, had it built in pearl-white stone, so that against the river and with the sun beating down it seemed to shimmer and sparkle. The numerous swans that bobbed by our barge looked like they'd been placed there deliberately to compliment the palace. The expensive lead on the roofs glistened in the early summer, adding to the splendour. There are so many windows and turrets it makes one quite dizzy to look up at.  On reflection, Stanfield was small and clumsy in comparison, with none of its elegance.  Father, so esteemed in Norfolk, was subdued and slightly cowed by it all.

I have an exquisite riverside apartment and on my Wedding Eve I stand looking out.  The Thames suddenly reminds me of a thick, twisted root providing water to the great oak of London. Without this lifeblood the city would perish and shrivel. In turn, London is the pounding heart of Tudor England and the excitement of the city is undeniable. Robert loves London and tells me he will show me all the sights. Sheen is so vast though that I have started to panic that I may be late for my own wedding. Last night I dreamt I was running through the corridors, searching for the chapel door.  To think of the royal personages that have lived here!  It seems everyone I have ever heard of has either stayed at the palace in the past or is here now to celebrate the marriages of the two Dudley men. After all, they are sons to the Earl of Warwick, who is now the Lord President to the Council and favourite adviser to Edward VI. Tomorrow, I will marry one of those sons!

Today, we had a magical day celebrating the wedding of Robert's older brother John, Lord Lisle, to Somerset's daughter Anne.  She was sour enough. I suppose her father's imprisonment in the Tower, at the Earl of Warwick's doing, has not helped the new union much. The Somersets now have to let the Dudleys take precedence. Thank goodness Robert and I are not starting our wedded life with such history. It was a lavish affair and my head is still filled with all the people and family I have met.  It has all been very strange, like meeting characters out of a book but they have all been very gracious.   Sheen now belongs to the good Lady Anne of Cleves who was very warm and wished me luck for the morrow.  I hope I shall have more luck in my marriage than she had in hers to King Henry VIII, God rest him.   I met His Majesty Edward today, a sombre and Godly boy.  He seems rather devoid of joy, I fear. But then there is the heavy weight of kingdom of his young shoulders, it is right that he has the rather fearsome John Dudley to help him with matters of state. I was also formally introduced to my mother-in -law, Jane.  I felt very nervous at meeting the lady who had brought my dear Robert into the world but she was kind indeed and showed no sign of discomfort at my country origins. There was feasting, jousting, jesters and dancing and now I feel quite spent.

I came away early in order to enjoy being Amy Robsart for one last moon. Robert gave me a gift this morning, that showed how lucky I will be in my husband. It is a gold brooch with acorns and there is a spray of my favourite yellow gillyflowers. Appropriately, they also symbolise marriage and fidelity too. The acorns, he told me, signified our family which will grow from us two.  He also says the oak reminds him of me, steadfast and loyal.  The name for oak in Latin is 'robur' so it is also a play on his name. In return, I have given him a gold ring. Engraved inside is 'thine till death' with two intertwined hearts. It has acorns and stars engraved in turn. When I look up in the night sky I think of Robert's love of astrology and how brightly he shines in all he does.