Chapter 6: To catch a killer

9th of September, 1560

Sunningwell Place, near Abingdon

As Katherine readjusted to the day slowly, she did not know where she was but then it felt as if someone had scraped a knife down her chest.  She tried not to cry, but all she could see was Amy's ashen face staring up at her.  Mrs Grays stood catching her breath in the doorway, her arm clutched across her chest and then hurried over to her. Katherine's head still felt heavy and she longed to lie back down to sleep. The bed was so comfortable, it was warm and she felt safe.  She blinked her tears away as she remembered she must stay foccused. There was little light in the room, as if the days had shortened overnight, but then she saw the sky was overcast.

"You slept well?" questioned  Mary, rushing to her side. She tore off her gloves and peered at her. Katherine thought Mary looked pretty tired herself, her portly frame hunched over. She walked stiffly as if her hips gave her great pain. It looked as if she should be resting in bed.

"Yes," said Katherine. "What of your news?"  She sat up fully in bed and rubbed her hands over her eyes to awake herself. There was no time to lose.

"Well," said Mary, "I went into Abingdon and have heard that Lord Dudley has dispatched Thomas Blount to deal with the situation, Amy's..." she stumbled for the right words, "death.  Apparently, Mr Blount has a letter from Robert asking him to..." Mrs Grays paused as she tried to remember. "'Neither let anything be hid from me, but send your true conceit and opinion of the matter, whether it happened by evil chance or by villainy.' "

They both paused.

Mrs Grays was greatly relieved she had remembered every word. Her memory wasn't what it used to be and names were becoming so hard to remember she had resorted to greeting everyone generally.  

"I was speaking to William Miller, the butcher, and he told me that there is an innkeeper who has very interesting information. He is William's brother -in-law and Mr Blount is staying with him. Well, this innkeeper had seen the letter with his very eyes, Mr Blount made a point of showing him it. Apparently, in it Lord Dudley also mentioned that he had no way of stopping the malicious talk and that Blount must learn the truth no matter what living person it may involve."

Mary coughed, it had already been a long day.

Katherine paused as she digested all of this.  It was clever of course, as she expected Robert to be. This was a man who had learned under the most excellent tutors such as John Dee and Roger Ashram, the best in England so he would not slip up easy. He was a man versed in Physics, astronomy and mathematics. Covering his tracks did not seem too hard for such as he. Thomas Blount was his steward and a modest, trustworthy man.  A better man he could not have chosen for his mission to clear his name. Thomas himself had visited Amy only last Christmas and passed on some gifts from Robert.  It had been an awkward moment for everyone as it was plain for all to see that Amy took no pleasure in any gifts. She had hoped to at least see her husband at Christmas. Her look of pure anguish was crushing for all to see and had been noted by Blount, Katherine was sure.

By making it public and plain he would not have any stone unturned, Robert looked like he had nothing to hide. But Blount was Robert's man for all his honesty and wished to find innocence for his master. Thus, he would look at all the evidence exonerating his master not condemning him.

Mrs Grays continued, in her voice weakened by age. "Mr Blount asked the innkeeper that night what people thought of Amy's untimely passing, the innkeeper said 'some say it is accident and some evil.' "

So, he was gauging rumour already, thought Katherine and well he might. For a man supposedly tied up in grief he seemed mightily taken with what people were thinking of him. The crown of England in all it's glory was hovering over his head and he wished to see it firmly in place.