Chapter 15 The Wedding of Lady Amy Dudley

June 4th, 1550

Sheen Palace, Richmond

 I walk into the beautiful chapel and almost stumble over a slight lip in the flagstones. I am taken back again by the scale of the building for it is bigger than St Margaret's church in Stanfield. The decoration is ostentatious, of the Old Faith and littered with Papal embellishments.  Rather immodest for the wedding of two good Protestant souls.  I notice the ceiling has intricate roses, for the first Tudor King who built it. It is so crowded and the heat from the bodies engulfs me immediately. There are candles aflame everywhere, adding to the stuffy atmosphere. It feels like my whole body is on fire and my breathing becomes laboured.  I long to tear off my pearl necklace that is choking my neck.  Father is beside me, but I feel alone. All turn to look at me, they are craning their heads to catch a glimpse of the lucky woman who will wed Robert Dudley.  I try to push difficult thoughts out of my head, are they thinking I am not good enough for him?  My hands shake with the simple yellow gillyflower posy I have in my hand.  I look down at the floor, just concentrating on placing one foot after another, gliding past the unnerving stares and feeling my cheeks aglow.

Then I look up and see him smiling so proudly at me that all my nerves flutter out of the chapel door. The heavy feeling lifts, if I just concentrate on Robert, then I know I will be fine. Mother's words pound through my aching head 'remember Amy, you are as good as they are,' and I try to believe it. The sun streams in through the elaborate stained glass, bouncing off his doublet of silver and pearls. It is like he is shimmering as I walk towards him and it feels dreamlike. Finally settling to his side with relief, for the probing eyes are now on my back. I will be eighteen in three days and will be a wife by the end of today. There are a few coughs and one rather rude loud yawn as we await the priest to start.

 The ceremony will be conducted with the Book of Common Prayer that our good Sovereign Edward VI has introduced just one year ago. Unusually, we have a married priest, now allowed under Edward's new dictates. There is no doubt that John Dudley is steering the king to a righteous religious England. I start to breathe more easily.

The priest clears his throat, a little too mindful of the important guests sitting in the cathedral pews I suspect. He begins. "Dear beloved friends, we are gathered here in the light of God, and in the face of his congregation, to join together this man, and this woman in holy matrimony..."

I let the priests words drift away and take a sideways glance at the young man at my side. I notice for the first time how delicately his eyebrows frame his handsome face, in perfect small arches. His black eyelashes curl up to heaven. His skin is darkened by his riding, which makes the blue in his eyes as vivid as a peacock's chest. I am lucky indeed. Around his neck on a golden string, hangs the ring I gave him yesterday.  

The priest asks Robert, "Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health? And forsaking all other keep thee only to her, to long as you both shall live."  

I can see Robert's fingers tremble at his side but he answers clearly in his melodic voice, "I will."

The priest then asks of me, "Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health?  And forsaking all other keep thee only to him, to long as you both shall live?"

I try and speak but find my throat dry before the great and the good of England.  I try again, "I will," I say in a small voice. Robert looks relieved and we almost laugh. The priest then asks who will give me to Robert and father steps forward. There is a bead of sweat on his forehead as he takes my hand and in effect, surrenders my care to Robert Dudley. In that significant moment a look passes between us, father and daughter, and I forgive him everything.