Chapter 13: Troubled

Katherine ran along the corridor flinging open door after door, left and right.

"Amy!" she cried out "Amy!." But each room was empty. She was back in Stanfield, as she flew down the corridor it seemed to continually elongate. 

"Amy!" she could feel the tears pouring down her face. Finally, there was only one door left. She stopped outside it , heart pounding and slowly pulled down the latch.  Sat on the bed was Amy, sewing and gently humming to herself.  The room seemed to be the chamber of Amy's girlhood that Katherine had been shown a few times at Stanfield.

"Amy..." she exclaimed and ran to her.

Amy looked up and smiled. She seemed younger, her hair was lustrous and her skin unlined with worry. No dark shadows hung under her eyes.  "Why Katherine, hush...don't cry." Climbing onto the bed, she felt Amy's arms around her. Katherine closed her eyes in perfect happiness. It had all been a bad dream, relief flooded through her.

"Sshh," said Amy tenderly stroking her hair.

"Amy...I dreamt some terrible things. I dreamt you were...dead."

Amy looked in her eyes and smiled: "But Katherine, don't cry. I'm here, I'm at Stanfield. I am so happy." Katherine looked at her in horror as Amy started to fade in front of her. The grip of her embrace slipped away, leaving her cold.

"Katherine," she heard Amy's calm voice but could no longer see her face "Katherine, don't blame Robert...I'm happy." Katherine looked down again at the bed and Amy was now lying there, head back, deathly ashen white and positioned just as she was at the bottom of the stairs.

"No!" Katherine screamed.

______________

Tuesday 10th September, 1560

Sunningwell

Katherine awoke, gasping for breath.  She could feel the tears streaked on her cheeks. She had been dreaming Amy was alive but it wasn't true.  Katherine curled her body up, putting her hands under her thighs. With her head turned sideways to the pillow she cried anew. For the hope that her dream had given her and for the real nightmare she had awoken up into.

Some time later, when her grief had subsided into dull acceptance for a while, she got up and looked out of the window. She was surprised to see the sun so high up in the sky, it must be near midday. Dressing quickly, she left her room bumping into one of Mary's servants, Eleanor.

"Is it afternoon?" she asked the matronly Eleanor, who was carrying a tray away from Mary Grays's chamber.

"Yes," answered Eleanor. Katherine picked up on the surly tone.  The household thought she was trouble and the sooner she left Sunningwell the better.  She couldn't blame them as Mary had been so weary yesterday.

"The mistress said you needed your rest and were not to be disturbed."  

Katherine fought a feeling of annoyance with Mary Grays, she had wanted to leave for Hyde's today at first light.  She had to move as fast as possible to outpace the wily moves of Robert Dudley.

"She is in her room?" asked Katherine.

"Indeed she is," retorted Eleanor, accusingly " a stinking cold she has." The servant marched off nosily in annoyance as Katherine knocked quietly on Mary's door.

"Yes?" said Mary quietly.  When Katherine went into her room she was struck again by the warmth, a blazing fire graced the fireplace despite it being a mild autumn day. Mary was sat up in her bed with some needlework placed to the side of her.  Katherine noticed anew how small but perfect Mary's house was. It was not opulent but comfortable, with understated fine detail. Midnight blue velvet curtains hung off the four poster bed, with contrasting sky blue edging. Newly laid rushes, intermigled with herbs filled the air with a sweet aroma. A deep window seat looked out over the gardens and sloping Berkshire countryside, flooding the room with daylight. A few objects caught the young girls eye that lay bare the heart of Mary Grays. A miniature of probably her husband lay on the small side table, next to a beautiful leather Bible.  A pair of man's slippers were placed to the side of the bed as if he were about to jump into them any moment.  A beautiful dark red doublet was laid across a carved trunk in the room.