Chapter 22 Secrets

August 1551 

Castle Rising, Norfolk

"You are sure?" I am astonished. I feel my body drop hard onto the chair. The breath escapes my body so quickly, I feel like a horse has kicked me in the chest.

Robert moves restlessly around, running his fingers through his hair and shaking his head.

"As sure as I can be, there is no proving these things."

I hear the heavy pound of his feet against the wooden floor. Half of Castle Rising is rotting away, I think he should not stamp too hard or he may go through the floor.

It is quite unbelievable. I give a small laugh in surprise.

"I cannot quite fathom it," I say. "Of all the places she should be."

"I know, I know." He sits down on a stool and looks me in the eye.

 "But Amy, she must never know, you understand that?"

I pause for a while. To keep such a thing a secret, is it right? But then I think of the consequences.

I think what it will mean for me.

I nod. It already feels like a heavy burden, I like not secrets. Secrets can eat you up, look at father and Grace. Secrets can destroy the most purest of relationships. 

He seems to relax with my answer.

"Good," he says strongly and it is as if there is now a pact between us.  "It is for the best. Katherine must never know."